Guys [and gals] need some help.

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Kccv23highliftcam
Name: Andrew

Guys [and gals] need some help.

Postby Kccv23highliftcam » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Simply I would like to put C702RFE back on the road after a decade plus in storage.

OK Engine has been deep creeped and turned over on starter reguarily, oil pressure is good with oil flow to top of engine.

Apart from that, how do I plan ahead?

On an unrelated topic, is Jeremy still with us?

regards

Andy Brown.

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Re: Guys [and gals] need some help.

Postby pigeondave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Hello,

If it were me, I'd change the fluid in the brakes.
If its been turned over regularly you'll probably be ok.

Plan a short trip first take a fire extinguisher as you don't know if a seal or hose could leak.
Probably be wise to check the fuel lines haven't perished, but still take the extinguisher.

Also take some water and oil.

I cant think of what else could go wrong. Are the tyres ok or are they looking a bit like something off of Fred Flintstone's car?

As long as you can stop and you're not going to burn, everything else is fixable.

Clutch might stick but if you've been starting it maybe not.

Edd

Postby Edd » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:59 am

Hi,
Good advice from Dave re. running asfter a few years!
Jeremy, as far as I know is still walking the planet. Aside from his name, and he does support the club, he has little to do with it apart from popping up and saying hi ig hes at Stoneleigh.
Edd

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:41 am

You might need to drain off the fuel and put fresh in and if it's on carbs clean the jets, floats chambers and needle valves as the old fuel will have lost its potency and possibly varnished/gummed things up a bit. Check the fuel lines for cracks. Once it's fired up go over them again.
Brakes might need checking over to make sure nothings stuck (pads/calipers/cylinders/etc) and a fluid change wouldn't be a bad idea. Hopefully the shoes aren't stuck or the clutch.

Kccv23highliftcam

Postby Kccv23highliftcam » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:27 am

Thanks guys, yeah got a to do list, rubber fuel lines have been replaces carbs serviced, still to go on,
I'm in two minds here now. Due to the period it's been off the road I have drained and refilled coolant, replaced some more hoses but after that I'm thinking a bit more in depth about timing belt and the water pump. Coolant was well past it's best I'm concerned about corroded impeller. TBH timing belt looks feels brand new, no aging or even wear visible...

Aim is to get it running static.. if that goes ok then big brake service.

I have plans to sort Jeremy's wiring from functional to a work of art [ex aircraft wireman see] esp under bonnet plus add in another couple of wire runs for future 3D ignition [timing wheel tps and no diz ] ready to mod car up once first stage up and running sorted.

Cheers for now

Andy B

PS yes tyres are gubbed!! have X2 new 888 in storage but don't want to start the old track/road car tyres debate !!

Kccv23highliftcam

Postby Kccv23highliftcam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:46 am

:(

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:58 am

Kccv23highliftcam wrote:
I have plans to sort Jeremy's wiring from functional to a work of art [ex aircraft wireman see] esp under bonnet plus add in another couple of wire runs for future 3D ignition [timing wheel tps and no diz ] ready to mod car up once first stage up and running sorted.

I'd be interested to see a couple of pics on the wiring and what you do. I'm guessing you'll go completely overboard (which is no bad thing). Be good to see any hints and tips on bundling and crimping/connectors.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”