First Mot After IVA test

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Jester
Name: Anthony

First Mot After IVA test

Postby Jester » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:22 am

Well that was a bit of a shock just taken my striker for it's first mot. After the last owner put in for the IVA before I brought it

He had removed the reversing light & fog light units after IVA before I bought it. I dont no why as are both useable for driving

They wont fail the mot with out them said the last owner.There in the boxes of spares that go with the car

The shocker came when I dropped the car off at the garage I use for some work on my car's for the mot.

Later that day I got a phone call from the garage saying the mot centre.

Has failed the car as it had no number plate lights at all. So the car was picked up from the mot centre.

By the garage for them to fit number plates lights. As I am at work myself so needed doing to get back on the road

It's not something you look for when you buy a car That's just been tested To IVA standards to go on the road

Something for others to watch out for :(

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Re: First Mot After IVA test

Postby pigeondave » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:12 am

I'd want the fog light on there.

Like you say, seems strange why they would remove them. I thought all cars after a cut off year had to have fog lights.
Or is it a case of if its not there we cant test it so it cant fail?

I've had that with the passenger seats, had to unclip the harness too or its a fail, but both out and the guy passed it.

Worst one was the satnav mount still stuck the the windscreen. Obstructing vision so a fail.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:54 pm

It has to have number plate light and must have been there to pass IVA. I've seen other remove them as they don't like the look (commonly used old Lucas design is ugly to be fair).
Fog and reverse depend on year (or perceived year of reg plate). If it's a Q you'll need neither. Pre '09 and you don't need reverse light to pass MOT. Pre April '80 (Reg-suffix V I think) and you don't need a rear fog.
Even if the car is exempt, if they're fitted they have to work.

Dave, I'm not sure the tester got it right with your seat/belts unless there was something wrong with your belt (ie. frayed). Plenty of people carriers get presented for test with seats removed but belts still there. But they'll fail if the belt is damaged; remove the belt and they pass (as long as theres no seat). If there's a seat there has to be a belt (unless the reg' is pre-seat belts being mandatory). I'd expect a note added to the cert' now to say no seat/belt fitted... just to cover the testers arse.

Jester

Postby Jester » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:43 pm

pigeondave wrote:I'd want the fog light on there.

Like you say, seems strange why they would remove them. I thought all cars after a cut off year had to have fog lights.
Or is it a case of if its not there we cant test it so it cant fail?

I've had that with the passenger seats, had to unclip the harness too or its a fail, but both out and the guy passed it.

Worst one was the satnav mount still stuck the the windscreen. Obstructing vision so a fail.

That's some jobs worth mot testers above there

Jester

Postby Jester » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:55 pm

adithorp wrote:It has to have number plate light and must have been there to pass IVA. I've seen other remove them as they don't like the look (commonly used old Lucas design is ugly to be fair).
Fog and reverse depend on year (or perceived year of reg plate). If it's a Q you'll need neither. Pre '09 and you don't need reverse light to pass MOT. Pre April '80 (Reg-suffix V I think) and you don't need a rear fog.
Even if the car is exempt, if they're fitted they have to work.

Dave, I'm not sure the tester got it right with your seat/belts unless there was something wrong with your belt (ie. frayed). Plenty of people carriers get presented for test with seats removed but belts still there. But they'll fail if the belt is damaged; remove the belt and they pass (as long as theres no seat). If there's a seat there has to be a belt (unless the reg' is pre-seat belts being mandatory). I'd expect a note added to the cert' now to say no seat/belt fitted... just to cover the testers arse.

The striker is on a Q Plate so lucky there then.

My own build yellow Jester I fitted a reverse light & fog light looks more balanced on the back.

The rebuild Tango Jester I am working on had both when it was on the road years ago.

I will be putting them back on after I sort the wiring out on the back

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”