Striker got weighed today, 600K, lardarse

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
David
Name: David Hussey

Re: Striker got weighed today, 600K, lardarse

Postby David » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:58 pm

John

As you'll remember from your physics, Newton postulated p=ma (force equal to mass x acceleration). That can be restated as a=p/m.
If we (only slightly rashly) assume that you'll get the same amount of force applied through the rear wheels of a car that is 25kg lighter, and we also assume that the car we wish to lighten weighs 625kg with driver at present, then existing acceleration is going to be p/625 and the new acceleration is p/600. Resolving those fractions shows you that your new acceleration will be 4% faster than before you lost the lard.

To answer your question, I think you'd notice it on track (out of every corner), but I doubt you'd notice on the road because you very rarely can use the full capabilities of your car. However, since when did boring logic inhibit upgrade-itis?

David
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

The Knobs
Name: Tim Price

Postby The Knobs » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:11 pm

Just weighed one of my wheels and tyres, 17 kilos each. So if i go the 13" route with lighter front upright and brake set up, that should give quite a reduction. I would like to get down below 550 if possible but without spending the cost of an R500 in the process :D Will have to give Mel a ring to see what the price of the list of bits i would need.

Is it a straightforward job fitting rose joints to the rear wishbones ? Some pictures of a before and after would be handy if anyone has any.

Werner Van Loock
Name: Werner Van Loock

Postby Werner Van Loock » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Just weighed mine and the 5,5x13 minilites with yoko's A048 185/60-13 weigh in at 13kg
The compomotive 6x13 with the same tires 13,5kg

So that's a possible saving of 4kg/corner of weight that's doesn't only reduce overall weight, but also unsprung weight and rotational mass!!!

So going from 13" to 15" and reducing flywheel weight has a reverse effect :P

Maybe that's also something you can do, don't know wich lump you have, but a lighter flywheel is also rotational mass and overall weight reduction.

As my engine will be in bits in the next couple of weeks I'm planning to get a lighter flywheel fitted.

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:15 pm

I have an aluminium flywheel fitted so thats one good thing. I will also be ditching the Weber throttle bodies in favour of some Jenvey ones as well as a bit more head work, so i will weigh the swarf taken out when porting :D

The car goes very well as it is, but another 20bhp and 30 + kilos lighter makes a huge differance to power to weight ratio, and as you say the all important unsprung weight loss. Hopefully go from 300bhp/ton to 350+ by next year.

Its bordering on obsession already.

Strikerxe
Name: John Richards

Postby Strikerxe » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:31 pm

David wrote:John

As you'll remember from your physics, Newton postulated p=ma (force equal to mass x acceleration). That can be restated as a=p/m.
If we (only slightly rashly) assume that you'll get the same amount of force applied through the rear wheels of a car that is 25kg lighter, and we also assume that the car we wish to lighten weighs 625kg with driver at present, then existing acceleration is going to be p/625 and the new acceleration is p/600. Resolving those fractions shows you that your new acceleration will be 4% faster than before you lost the lard.

To answer your question, I think you'd notice it on track (out of every corner), but I doubt you'd notice on the road because you very rarely can use the full capabilities of your car. However, since when did boring logic inhibit upgrade-itis?

David

David

Its a long time since I did physics :oops: . I understand you maths but is that not over simplifying things ? What about the effect of drag ? Would a car with say 400bhp/ton that weighed 500kg accelarate faster, slower or at the same rate as one with the same 400bhp/ton but weighed 1000kg ? Surely there must be a speed where more power is more benificial than less weight for acceleration ? Our cars are pretty un aerodynamic so that speed could be quite low :cry: Not trying to be picky just trying to justify more power ;) I've no upgrades planned for this winter yet :(

Having said all that I understand that the weight that has been accelerated has also got to be stopped as well as go round corners so yes less weight is better . :)

You're right I'm sure I wouldn't notice a 4% increase in performance on the road , I'm not sure I'd notice it on a track either to be honest :oops:

Does you car get double driven by drivers of different weights ? Just wondered if there was a measurable difference in times that was the same as the difference in weights ? ( if only life was that simple :o )

John

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:40 pm

What sort of battery is the best to go for, and the best place to buy one ?

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:58 pm

I have recently fitted an Odyssey PC680. It is a lot lighter amd smaller than a standard car battery, and very happily turns my crossflow over.

Will try and remember where I bought it from.

Pete

The Knobs wrote:What sort of battery is the best to go for, and the best place to buy one ?

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:05 pm

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:25 pm

Cheers

Let the weightloss commence

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:45 pm

Strikerxe wrote:
Does you car get double driven by drivers of different weights ? Just wondered if there was a measurable difference in times that was the same as the difference in weights ? ( if only life was that simple :o )

John

John

Chris is around 17kg heavier than I am. Over the season, we have been about evenly matched on lap times. He beat me by a few tenths at Croft and murdered me at Hethel (he's just braver :? ), I beat him by a few tenths at Curborough and Llandow, and we shared the honours (one all) at MIRA. However, whilst he may be braver (or more skillful), the data-logging is unequivocal: I get out of the corners faster.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”