Few Quick Questions if I may

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
dellyend1
Name: Jeremy Stone

Few Quick Questions if I may

Postby dellyend1 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:30 am

HI,

Started my search for a Fury, in no rush but have seen a red Mk1 fury on the bay that has a 1600 X flow engine. Contacted the seller who has been very helpful.

Questions:

1. Has anybody else running a 1600 x flow and is it lively enough to have a spirited drive ? I understand the x flow is a pretty tunable engine , but having seen that a twin webber set up alone is £900 , it could be more cost effective to swap the engine, next question

2. I think swapping from an older x flow to a more modern z tec would be problematic due to position of mounting blocks. Wanting to keep an old school engine in the fury , any idea on what could be put back in ?

3. The fury I have seen ticks all the boxes in set up for road use, level of trim and wet weather gear, but not sure on the bonnet bulge on the Mk 1. If I went for twin carbs / engine swap, can a more recent bonnet be fitted to a mk 1 ? Also very much like the le man bonnet can this be fitted ?

Many Thanks in advance

Jeremy

PaulW7
Name: Paul Willetts

Re: Few Quick Questions if I may

Postby PaulW7 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 am

Jeremy,
1600 xflow was a standard choice of engine and even in reletivley std tune will give a fun ride on the road or track.

Upgrading to a zetec will have been done by many as there was a plentuful supply of them even new crated ones and they will mate to the gearbox you already have. Engine mounts are not likely to be an issue, small job to weld or drill to reposition. key things for upgrades are -

The side the exhaust exits. Xflow, zetec and Duratec are all to the passenger side. Pinto and sigma are to the off side.

Carbs or injection, and associated engine management.
Therefore electrics.

Fuel lines - Carbs = single Fuel line, injection = flow and return.

Exhaust manifold replacement.

Cooling

Check vehicle reg document against new mot/ emissions rules.

Engine swap will probably cost £2000. With some costs recoverable from selling xflow etc.

Over to our fury owners for the bonnet.
Paul.

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:39 am

PaulW7 wrote:The side the exhaust exits. Xflow, zetec and Duratec are all to the passenger side. Pinto and sigma are to the off side.

You sure about the Duratec?

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:18 pm

dellyend1 wrote:HI,

1. Has anybody else running a 1600 x flow and is it lively enough to have a spirited drive ? I understand the x flow is a pretty tunable engine , but having seen that a twin webber set up alone is £900 , it could be more cost effective to swap the engine, next question

Jeremy

Don't get caught up in the loads of power world. I went from normal is 1.8 zetec to 2.0 race tuned engine and felt that i slightly ruined the car for the road. You end up driving everywhere on half throttle. One mechanic down south said to me that any more than 250bhp is a waste. I'd go further and say any more than 200bhp is a waste.

dellyend1 wrote:
2. I think swapping from an older x flow to a more modern z tec would be problematic due to position of mounting blocks. Wanting to keep an old school engine in the fury , any idea on what could be put back in ?

looking at the car on ebay, you'll need a new bonnet with a bulge, or chop the bonnet and add your own bulge, to get the zetec to fit. The Duratec is an even taller engine.

you'd have to check with the factory (fury sportscars) to see what can be fitted as they modified something to either make it shorter or longer. I dunno if it was the bonnet or the chassis. (for a few years the fit was questionable).

Hope this helps

PaulW7
Name: Paul Willetts

Postby PaulW7 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Ford reused the Duratec name. The St170 engine was badged as Duratec where same way round as xflow and zetec, later Duratecs are I think the otherway round.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:58 am

ST170 was a Zetec but badged as a Duratec to match the (then) new (true) Duratec range that was going in everything else.

dellyend1,
If it's the one I found on ebay then it looks a decent car. I'd advise that you'd be best using it as is for a year, then decide what you do/don't like. Do any changes over a winter... or two

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”