Fisher Fury Fuel Tank Replacement Access & Making Good

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
motivforz
Name: Chris

Fisher Fury Fuel Tank Replacement Access & Making Good

Postby motivforz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:47 pm

So, with reference to the other thread on here https://jpsc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=867&start=10&hilit=fuel+tank and Rob Collingridge's excellent website I've identified the need to cut the rear valence in order to get the existing tank out. Unfortunately the tank needs to come out to allow the differential to be removed.

How have other Fury owners covered up the hole left afterwards? I'm considering taking the opportunity to make a diffuser of sorts, but I suspect in the interests of speed a closing panel may be quicker to get it back together and focus on the more important jobs. Unfortunately images on the web aren't typically taken from low enough to see this part of the bodywork.

Hopefully I'll make it to Stoneleigh to have a look around other cars.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: Fisher Fury Fuel Tank Replacement Access & Making Good

Postby adithorp » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I made an ally panel to go across it. I do have a diffuser as well but there's a gap between it and the rear valance; The angle would be too high to be effective if there wasn't.
Are you sure it has to come out? I can get my diff out with it in but that might be because it's a Freelander rather than the larger/heavier Sierra one.

motivforz

Postby motivforz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Diff is currently loose, as is the fuel tank. No amount of movement allows the diff to come out with the fuel tank pushed as far as possible out of the way unfortunately, including removing the diff cover and dripping oil everywhere :roll: . It is a 7in sierra diff, and the fuel tank is an extended midget tank so pretty much fills the volume behind the subframe and under the bodywork.

motivforz

Postby motivforz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:23 pm

Well that's them both out over the weekend now. Wasn't too bad - needed 40mm taking off at the rear and about the same either side of the existing hole in order to make enough room.

Going to be slightly tricky to cover up due to the fuel tank protruding through it, but it won't stop it going back together now so that's progress. Next step is diff seals / recondition and fuel tank paint touch up whilst it's out.

Difficult to find a standard diffuser that looks like it will fit with the angle the fury produces at the back and quite short length. May have to attempt to fabricobble up something myself. Thanks for the advice adi.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 am

I made my own (2nd version now).

I added tabs to some of the rear floor rivets made from 20mm ally strip and 40-50mm long so they provide out to the back. The diffuser sits on top of them. Then 2 rivnuts in the back corners of the diff' cage to screw the middle up to. At the back I've a series of pillars/tubes between the diffuser and Valence to space it off: that keeps the diffuser angle reasonable and let's airflow down the tunnel out.
The panel is actually flat and just flexed up to meet the back mounts (gives a nice radius) and then I cut find to match the angle and riveted in place.
If you get to Stoneleigh show you can have a look as I'll be there all weekend.

motivforz

Postby motivforz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Thanks again Adi, I'm planning on going to Stoneleigh so I'll have a nosy around yours and anyone else that has had the same issue.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”