Half doors

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Re: Half doors

Postby peter030371 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 am

Winter update. I have now fitted half doors to both sides and a standard RAW vinyl boot cover.

Taxed the car over the weekend and waited for the roads to dry. Eventually, yesterday afternoon, I managed to get out in her for 10-15 minutes on my normal 'test' route and up to circa 80mph the reduction in buffeting is very noticeable in the cockpit. Very pleased with the results :D

Now need to do something about fitting a rear 'diffuser' to reduce rear drag (not in any attempt to pretend it will generate downforce!) and the car is getting better with each mod :cool:
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:30 am

Diffuser will help with the parachute effect that normal kit car bodies produce.

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am

jeffw wrote:Diffuser will help with the parachute effect that normal kit car bodies produce.

I no, I had got a GPR diffuser to fit but by the time I trim the width down (10mm each side) it will take the outer strakes off and will look a bit daft with inner strakes and no outter strakes (the inners are moulded in so can't be removed). More to the point it will lose its strength without the outter strakes. Think I will have to sell this GPR one on and after lots of measurements and cardboard models I think I can make one from Carbon NV fit with some cutting about ;)

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm pretty sure I bought a standard Westfield one which fitted. It was a Plays Kool one.

http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Fi ... ducts.html

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:47 pm

jeffw wrote:I'm pretty sure I bought a standard Westfield one which fitted. It was a Plays Kool one.

http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Fi ... ducts.html

The one I am looking at is a Westfield (narrow) one from Carbon NV. The width looks spot on but the length will need 'adjusting' with a jig saw to fit ;)

Me being a weight watcher I can get a GRP one like you suggest for about £100 which weighs circa 3.5Kg or a Carbon NV one for just over £200 but weighs less than 1.5Kg. Guess which one I will be going for :twisted:

I haven't got time to fit it just yet so that will be later in the year now.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Are you sure about those figures? The standard weight saving/cost diminishing return chart (and carbon is usually well down the chart) says that double the cost can't get you more than 50% weight saving.

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:53 pm

adithorp wrote:Are you sure about those figures? The standard weight saving/cost diminishing return chart (and carbon is usually well down the chart) says that double the cost can't get you more than 50% weight saving.

The weights and prices are off the websites.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”