Phoenix air box

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
martin
Name: Martin

Phoenix air box

Postby martin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 pm

I have been having problems getting the noise of my ZX9R phoenix down to an acceptable level and am getting a lot of induction noise which I think is being picked up when testing the exhaust so I decided to build an air box, this will also have the advantage of forced cold air to the carbs.
The engine is fitted with a piper cross PX500 air filter so I decided to make an air box that would fit over that air filter and mount to the PX500 back plate.
I started with a filter frame mounted to a wooden bade then glued on foam to start shaping, the picture below is version 1, you can see the piper cross filter frame.

I then covered it with filler, sanded and painted before applying lots of coats of mould release wax and used it as a mould to make the air box
I was not happy with the the shape of the first air box when I fitted it to the car and it didn't really have enough height at the rear for the air filter

So I made version 2 which l think looks better and has more room above the air filter

I now need to decide if I am going to fill and paint it, take a mould off it to make a new one which will give a better external finish or just leave it as it is, but I shall try it out first once the weather improves.

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Phoenix air box

Postby jeffw » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Good work. It fits under the bonnet OK?

martin
Name: Martin

Re: Phoenix air box

Postby martin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:38 am

Unfortunately not.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”