First 'proper' drive

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

First 'proper' drive

Postby peter030371 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:49 pm

After a few more teething issues with the steering wheel wiring I finally got out for a short run in the finished (well as finished as they ever are) car this morning before the rain arrived.

Considering the suspension is not set up I was very pleased with the handling, certainly a lot less 'twitchy' over the lumps and bumps of our A and B roads than my old Live Axle Striker. Still a hard ride but so much more predictable than before. I was unsure how much difference IRS would make on a Striker and I can say its a massive difference IMHO :)

The engine is great and just pulls and pulls to the red line (only in first officer...red line in second is above any UK speed limit!). Water and Oil temperatures/ pressures seem well controlled and sensible. ATSpeed have done a good job with the engine map. Despite the protests/ warnings from them and others it idles just fine on the roller barrel throttle bodies at the moment, time will tell if it stays like that.

I am going to have to wear ear plugs though, the air noise past my old ears hurt after a few minutes at higher speeds!

Still need to adjust the brakes a 'tad' (OK a LOT) too much rear bias at the moment makes hard breaking a sideways experience :oops:

I am going to get her wheel alignment measured next and see if I want to tweek anything or leave as is to get used to her a bit more :)
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: First 'proper' drive

Postby adithorp » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 am

Good to hear it's all coming together. Should be raring to go by the time the CKC by at Blyton comes around.

Thinking about "twitchyness", what front uprights do you have? There's been a bit of stuff (search Maverick440's posts) in the past about bump steer correction with Sierra uprights.

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Re: First 'proper' drive

Postby peter030371 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:32 pm

adithorp wrote:Good to hear it's all coming together. Should be raring to go by the time the CKC by at Blyton comes around.

Thinking about "twitchyness", what front uprights do you have? There's been a bit of stuff (search Maverick440's posts) in the past about bump steer correction with Sierra uprights.

I am aware of bump steer but not checked it yet, its on my list of things to do. Currently it doesn't feel too bad though so not high up that job list ;)
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”