Drive to work

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Drive to work

Postby peter030371 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:17 am

After 3 1/2 years building came to work in Pixy (nickname for her) as the MOT is next door at lunch time :D

Engine is OK but most certainly needs mapping on the RR as expected. First impression of a windscreen less Striker is its not really any different to the windscreen version! In some respects it's less buffeting but I only just touched 50mph and most was 30-40mph.

Lot less 'twitchy' than my previous (live axled) Striker on the road with less rear end 'crashing' on some of the rougher B roads and I am sure the suspension/ tracking etc is still not quite right so more performance to come from that side :cool:

Biggest issue on the drive in (which shows how happy I was) is that I seem to have got the steering wheel set to the 2 o'clock position when going straight ahead which then hides half the Dash2 so I couldn't see my speed or the (low) revs! Easy fix though :cool:
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Drive to work

Postby jeffw » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 am

Well done, fingers crossed for the MoT

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Nice one. Have you booked Blyton yet?

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:14 pm

She passed :D

Rolling road session next, then suspension check and I will be at Blyton (need to renew my subscription first) :D

Now remind me how do you drive these cars? Is it OK to use the right pedal to steer?

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Its fun (in a very geeky way) to check the inlet temperature as I drive (thank you Omex to Dash2 link :) ). Once warmed up seems to be stuck around 45°C today. The sensor is mounted to the underside of the (carbon) airbox (as per Cosworth/Caterham Duratec builds) so not sure how much of that is 'real' heatstoke into the airbox and how much is heatsoak into the sensor.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 pm

peter030371 wrote:She passed :D

Is it OK to use the right pedal to steer?

It's not just Ok... it's obligatory.

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:51 pm

peter030371 wrote:Its fun (in a very geeky way) to check the inlet temperature as I drive (thank you Omex to Dash2 link :) ). Once warmed up seems to be stuck around 45°C today. The sensor is mounted to the underside of the (carbon) airbox (as per Cosworth/Caterham Duratec builds) so not sure how much of that is 'real' heatstoke into the airbox and how much is heatsoak into the sensor.

I have looked at this on the net in a geeky way.
found this
post number #13
Posted May 29, 2012
Effect of Air Temperature Sensor Position

very interesting (the posts before are boring)

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/947 ... ent=961207

edit for a better link

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:27 pm

pigeondave wrote:I have looked at this on the net in a geeky way.
found this
post number #13
Posted May 29, 2012
Effect of Air Temperature Sensor Position

very interesting (the posts before are boring)

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/947 ... ent=961207

edit for a better link

I have read stuff like that before. My sensor is located in a carbon box (so not a high heat conduction path from the engine) but is on the underside of the box and in a Striker you have little airflow around this area of the engine bay.

On the way home at 70 on a dual carriage for about a mile (nothing fell off, so a good test :o ) the temp quickly (in less than 1/2 mile) dropped to 31°C which was only a few degree above the real air temp so in general I am happy with its location. Its never going to be great when stationary with the bonnet on but its is going to be OK when moving at speed when I want/need the best performance :)

PS how can I have a clear air filter to show off the carbon trumpets which look great but are hidden from view :lol:

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”