another step forward and more steps back!

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

another step forward and more steps back!

Postby peter030371 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:19 am

This car building hobby can be so frustrating at times!

I had a few minor tasks to do (if there is such a thing) to get ready for MOT and Rolling Road. First job was to fit the passenger seat and harness properly which I did last weekend.

Next job was to fit the rear fog light, wiring came as far as the rear bulkhead but no further, so I did that on Tuesday evening. Not the best looking fog light but I wanted LED and on the last Striker in 18 years of ownership I only ever used the fog light for the MOT :o

The light has been fitted so that it can be removed with two screws and un-plugged and put away safe for the next MOT ( :D ) as it will get in the way of the rear defuser when I fit it later in the year.

Whilst testing the fog light I noticed that the indicator, horn and main beam switch on the steering wheel had all stopped working :( half hour of investigation and I found the fuse supplying 12V to the indicator module and the switches on the wheel had blown. It was a 2A fuse and the total load with everything one at once is <1A so I smelt a problem!

I replaced the fuse and carefully switched the power back on...the fuse held this time. The horn and main beam switch worked but no indicators. The indicators are controlled by a self-cancelling module from Signal Dynamics in the states. I checked the wiring to this and all seemed fine so with a lot of struggling to reach the module (now tucked out the way behind the dash, under the steering column) I got it out and tested it and its failed :(

Module should be under the column above the just visible relay plugged into the empty bullet connectors in the middle of the picture :(

Its a 'new' unit but I have had it for over a year so the warranty is out of date anyway the time delay to send it to the states for them to fix will no doubt take months. I have ordered a new one but its coming from the states and is not due for a couple of weeks.

So no MOT for me until much late this month and I had talked to them about doing the car before a rolling road session so they could check over the build for me.
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: another step forward and more steps back!

Postby adithorp » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:35 am

I'm still trying to work out if there's a formula to calculate the number of jobs created by carrying out one repair. It does seem to increase inversely related to the amount of time available. How much that increase is also seems to depend on how critical any deadline is... In your case, planning to join us at blyton is probably responsible.

My fog light is used mostly to supplement the tail lights in the rain as I'm told I'm not very usable in the spray. It apparently also illuminates the vortex from the corners of the diffuser quite well.

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:30 am

adithorp wrote:I'm still trying to work out if there's a formula to calculate the number of jobs created by carrying out one repair. It does seem to increase inversely related to the amount of time available. How much that increase is also seems to depend on how critical any deadline is... In your case, planning to join us at blyton is probably responsible.

My fog light is used mostly to supplement the tail lights in the rain as I'm told I'm not very usable in the spray. It apparently also illuminates the vortex from the corners of the diffuser quite well.

Which reminds me I must get on and book Blyton :D

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:33 am

adithorp wrote: I'm told I'm not very usable in the spray.

Care to expand on that ? :shock: :? :o :D :lol:

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Fecking auto-correct! "Visible"

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:40 pm

way funnier the other way though !

Christof
Name: Christof

Postby Christof » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:30 pm

have just been looking at those 'F1' fog lights on amazon.
intending to swap my bulky fog and reverse after iva, but am thinking small round ones.
what are u doing for reverse- can't see it?

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Haven't got and don't need a reverse light ;)

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 am

I've been getting on with prepping, servicing and modifying mine before going away on tour. Thought I had about half a dozen jobs to do. So having done a few and still having some more in mind, I thought I'd make a list...

From the original 6 (ish) I've done 7... and have (at least) 8 more to do! :shock:

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:29 am

Christof, be sure any fog light you choose is E marked B or F or it will fail IVA. It's the only light that has to be correctly marked.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”