On-board cameras

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
paulhark
Name: paul harcombe

Re: On-board cameras

Postby paulhark » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi All

I also, have just got one of these MD/80 Mini cam (£20 offer accepted straight away).

The first few plays with it look very promising.

Just ordered a 4gb micro sd card (£6.99 from 7 day shop) which i am told will cure the slight stutter,due to the 2gb card supplied with it.

Will try and get some in car footage from my Star perhaps next weekend.

Cheers Paul.

NeilEverett
Name: Neil Everett

Postby NeilEverett » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:31 pm

paulhark wrote:Hi All

I also, have just got one of these MD/80 Mini cam (£20 offer accepted straight away).

The first few plays with it look very promising.

Just ordered a 4gb micro sd card (£6.99 from 7 day shop) which i am told will cure the slight stutter,due to the 2gb card supplied with it.

Will try and get some in car footage from my Star perhaps next weekend.

Cheers Paul.

Hi Paul,
Yes sorry I should have mentioned the issues with the included 2Gb micro SD card, which seem to be common with the Veho Muvi. It is clearly just too slow for recording videos. I have tried both an old 256Mb card from an old phone, and a 4Gb SDHC card, and both worked with no stuttering. So it is best to factor in buying an additional card if you don't have an alternative lying around already. 4Gb is a good size as it will give about 2hrs recording time, which is pretty much what the battery life is supposed to be (haven't tested that yet though!)

http://www.play.com have 4Gb micro SD PNY cards for around £5.50 at the mo...

Went out round the block this afternoon given the sun was out, to give it a proper daylight test. Mount was a quick fix single zip tie job which needs improving (fair bit of camera wobble), and the position needs tweaking as the top of the windscreen obscures much of the view ahead. BUT, I am pretty impressed with the results. Sound is clearly an issue with built in mic, but will try to improve this also with some tape as a first attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsH_1a8kslE

Currently looks a *lot* ropier than on my PC, but youtube vids seem to take an hour or 2 until they sort themselves out properly. If it doesn't, I'll post up a few stills on here...
Last edited by NeilEverett on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylva Mojo 2.0 Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Never mind tweaking the position of the camera, you need to ditch that windscreen Neil :mrgreen:

Your roads look drier than ours today aswell - lots of sideways roundabouts today in the Striker without even trying !

Pete

NeilEverett

Postby NeilEverett » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 am

petercoll wrote:Never mind tweaking the position of the camera, you need to ditch that windscreen Neil :mrgreen:

Pete

Then what would I attach the doors and hood too...?! :D

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Just bought one of the cameras mentioned above for the kids. It was a lot smaller than I expected, but you get a lot for your £20 don't you.

Pete

NeilEverett

Postby NeilEverett » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 pm

petercoll wrote:Just bought one of the cameras mentioned above for the kids. It was a lot smaller than I expected, but you get a lot for your £20 don't you.

Pete

They are indeed tiny! I think it should be possible to use in some interesting places, like mounted to the radiator grille, wing mirror, etc etc to get some interesting shots! Won't be a patch on your pro setup, Pete, but still not bad for the money...

Edd

Postby Edd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 pm

>>Will try and get some in car footage from my Star perhaps next weekend.
Of topic I know, but how is the Star going Paul? And how are you doing?
Edd.

paulhark
Name: paul harcombe

Postby paulhark » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:05 am

Hi Edd

The Star is MOT-ed and on the road,but with lot's still to do.(very limited money to do it with).

Hopefully now the weather is getting more favourable i will be able to get in the garage and start sorting the jobs.

Job wise i am slightly more stable (still working for 2 diferent companys) not ideal but at least it pays the morgage.

Hope you are going ok,and will see you at the shows soon.

Cheers Paul.

MattD
Name: Matt Downes

Postby MattD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:16 pm

NeilEverett wrote:
petercoll wrote:Just bought one of the cameras mentioned above for the kids. It was a lot smaller than I expected, but you get a lot for your £20 don't you.

Pete

They are indeed tiny! I think it should be possible to use in some interesting places, like mounted to the radiator grille, wing mirror, etc etc to get some interesting shots! Won't be a patch on your pro setup, Pete, but still not bad for the money...

Quite impressed by Neil's daylight vid... pretty good for the price.

Says there's 5 x MD80s left from the seller Neil mentioned, but the listing ended a couple of days back.
So just really broke the budget :lol: & bought the supposedly upgraded MD91 from the same guy.
Listed at 49.99 inc deliv, my offer of £40 all-in accepted straight off.

Says it has a slighly faster frame rate & improved audio.... will post a vid when I've got it tested.

Matt

NeilEverett

Postby NeilEverett » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 pm

MattD wrote:Quite impressed by Neil's daylight vid... pretty good for the price.

Says there's 5 x MD80s left from the seller Neil mentioned, but the listing ended a couple of days back.
So just really broke the budget :lol: & bought the supposedly upgraded MD91 from the same guy.
Listed at 49.99 inc deliv, my offer of £40 all-in accepted straight off.

Says it has a slighly faster frame rate & improved audio.... will post a vid when I've got it tested.

Matt

I think with a bit of work on the mount it will be plenty good enough for my needs! Had spotted the MD91, will be interesting to see how it compares...

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”