Wide Arch Phoenix is done

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Wide Arch Phoenix is done

Postby jeffw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Nope ;)

It blew the dipstick out and got oil on the exhaust, hence the small fire....quickly put out with an extinguisher.

Boondougal
Name: Sam Carney

Postby Boondougal » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:58 am

Basically... living the dream.

Hämpu
Name: Hämpu

Postby Hämpu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 am

Too much pressure, the problem was fixed in my previous car with a second sealing ring :D

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:52 pm

I've seen a lot of FI engines with a variety clip/hook/spring arrangements to hold the dipstick in.
Did it ignite while out or in the paddock?

What's going on with the toe change? Altering under dive (so bump steer) from your description0so how will adjustable wishbones effect that? I thought that'd just allow changes to camber/castor but if the inner pick up points and rack are the same as before then isn't the bump steer the same?

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:24 pm

https://youtu.be/LO07qmJ9zkk

Check out this before ordering new lower wishbones.

Then find Adi's thread on how he moved the rack, there was another guy on here that also did something similar on a striker.

I've often wondered how the cars would stack up to a full geo assessment.
The RGB guys were talking about camber gain years ago, Tim Hovered said he'd worked out how to reduce it in his blog but didn't have the balls to cut off pickup points.

Could be another issue after the bump steer is sorted

pigeondave

Postby pigeondave » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:36 pm

adithorp wrote: I thought that'd just allow changes to camber/castor?

Camber yes, really fine adjustment. (Well half a turn on the finer pitch rod ends)
caster not so much so. On the fury this is done by moving the top rocker fore and aft as the newer chassis have a bigger gap between the top pick up points that what the top rocker is in length. You then pack with washers.

When I had the newer font grafted on the car was set like a pile of poo.

Just because both top rockers are in the same position (both fully pushed back) DOES NOT MEAN that they are give the same caster. I spent a good Sunday morning at PGM ( http://www.pgmsussex.com/ ) sorting this out to a good enough state. If i was racing/sprinting like Jeff I would have had a load of different sized spacers made up and got it spot on.

pigeondave

Postby pigeondave » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:43 pm

one last question after all the ranting

@Jeff have you considered rod ending one end of the rear links to ensure that the axle is in the right place? Again rod ends giving some adjustment so that the two front to back measurements between near and off side wheel centres are the same.

I was thinking of doing this but ran out of motivation.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:01 pm

From memory my rocker pivots are spaced one washer differently to give equal castor. To be honest it was a bit of a suppose that it was only one washer ;)

Don't think I ever got around to writing up my bump steer correction work. Basically meant moving the rack up and forward a bit. Massive difference to way it drove after.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:13 pm

adithorp wrote:I've seen a lot of FI engines with a variety clip/hook/spring arrangements to hold the dipstick in.
Did it ignite while out or in the paddock?

What's going on with the toe change? Altering under dive (so bump steer) from your description0so how will adjustable wishbones effect that? I thought that'd just allow changes to camber/castor but if the inner pick up points and rack are the same as before then isn't the bump steer the same?

I've got a spring clip on it now, not going anywhere this time. It ignited when some kind soul lifted the bonnet as it was smoking...just flashed off and then it was put out.

Currently the front lower wishbone is on metalastic bushes which are deforming under braking, not a problem on road tyres but on slicks it is dancing the rear end all over the place. Alan was saying that I am 5-10 metres earlier on the brakes and not able to hold the brake pressure to the apex. Fury Sportscars are build a new set of wishbones based on what they do for RGB cars.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:13 pm

pigeondave wrote:one last question after all the ranting

@Jeff have you considered rod ending one end of the rear links to ensure that the axle is in the right place? Again rod ends giving some adjustment so that the two front to back measurements between near and off side wheel centres are the same.

I was thinking of doing this but ran out of motivation.

Already done that

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”