Phoenix wide arch extension

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: Pretty wide at the back

Postby adithorp » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:10 pm

jeffw wrote:Normally I'd agree with you but I'm bonkers...

I'm not sure both of those things can be true. :?

My opinion is that if two (or more in this case) things need doing and the work overlaps (like springs/shocks) then you might as well do them at the same time. Getting the setup sorted after might take longer but you've saved a load of time anyway.

I guess Rob is going to sort out those lose/rusty rocker bolts at the same time? :P

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:30 pm

I leave it in his capable hands. New shocks should be here tomorrow :)

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Day 5 photos, moving along. I'm pretty impressed how the back is shaping up as that was the area I was concerned about. Rob Johnson is going to extend the front wishbones by 30mm to move the front wheel out to fill the arch and be inline with the rears.

adithorp

Re: Phoenix wide arch extension

Postby adithorp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:28 pm

That looks like it'll be very mean looking once finished. Won't be quite the wolf in sheeps clothing it used to be. Will the front rear track width be equal or just the same difference as before? ...that said, I don't know if the Pheonix (or for that matter the live axle Fury) is equal track front and rear originally? I know the IRS Fury is wider at the back.

It'll be interesting to see how the longer 'bones effect roll centre migration and camber change in roll. Are you just going to change springs or have you considered adding shaped bump stops? I changed to softer springs and shaped/progresive bump stops last year and with a bit of experimenting it improved both the ride and handling... a lot!

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:54 pm

I've bought Penske shocks which effectively use the springs to support the car when it is static. The supplier has worked out the frequency but this extension will mess with those calcs slightly.

The live axle car had narrower front than back. This will bring the front out to the edge of the arch extension.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Day 8

ready for paint on the back end. Lots of things still to do but looking good....

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Body is ready for primer now. Rob had extended the top and bottom wishbones by 30mm

Nice bit of fabrication :)

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:04 pm

Did you consider having them made with rosejoints on the inner end to give finer camber adjustment?

I find one turn on the bottom joint gives roughly 3/4 deg, whereas rose joints are a finer thread and you can go 1/2 turns.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes, we did think about it but basically I've run out of time with Rob (he is off to Canada Monday morning for work) so need to ensure this was completed. Ideally the bottom arm would be rose jointed completely.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Finishing line fast approaching

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”