will I fit?

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
namster
Name: niall

will I fit?

Postby namster » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:17 am

Morning all,

New to the forum! Seems like a good place with lots of good info!

Im after a new toy that I can fit in! Im 6ft5 with long legs and a bit fat (110kg) and wondering if I'd fit in a Fury. I know for a fact I dont fit in a striker at all, but heard furys are quite a bit bigger internally - is this true?

For comparison I JUST comfortably fit in a westy seiw, both length and width. And want something as a nice weekend toy, but also with the chance to spend a few days in the lakes or wales etc. Im not after a bec featherweight hill climb rocket.

I know it rather depends on seat choice, pedal locations etc, but broadly speaking....

I currently have a Pembleton SuperSports that I bought back in feb after selling my lomax I owned for 7years. At the time I thought I could just get away with its size, although the summer has taught me otherwise... although im not really in a rush to sell.... I feel the need for a bit more speed!

Im in Northamptonshire, so would love to hear off anyone local and be a little cheeky and see if I fit?

Cheers,
Niall

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Re: will I fit?

Postby pigeondave » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:52 am

You might if you find the right car.

Im 6'2" and about 18st 10lbs (but its before christmas so that'll go up)
I have a standard sized Fury and you wouldn't want to be much bigger or taller.

I have tried a friends car (Dean) and he has floor mounted pedals which have been pushed back an extra inch or so AND a lowered floor.
This car is almost too big for me (ive had a sit in it).

The lowered floor gets your head below the windscreen and the moved pedals allowed me to only have the slightest bend in my legs.

My car has top hung pedals which im looking at changing to floor mounted so i can push them back. If they're pushed back i could adopt a more lying down position so my head'll be well below the screen.

At the moment its fine, ive done some 300mile days in the car when on tour so its not uncomfortable.

Plastic non padded seats are comfortable so dont feel the need to have a padded seat. my crappy GRP ones are basically on the floor . so my bum would only be the thickness of the GRP lower if i removed them.

But best have a sit in one and see how you feel. you might find moving the pedals forward would work for you if youre long in the leg. if you got a long back then lower the floor.

HTH

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Namster.
Given the Pembleton and Lomax connections, are/were you slomax? If so and you're ever back up Manchester area, you're welcome to come and sit in mine.You might remember it from a Sat morning run around Cheshire. It's currently at work in Stalybridge though might find it's way back home to Hyde if we get a few nice days.

Adi

namster

Postby namster » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:39 pm

Thanks for the very informative reply Dave!

Adi, yes, one and the same. My parents still live in cheshire, but since the manchester meets (when I was still at uni), I've lived/worked down in plymouth, for 2 and a half years (dartmoor roads are sublime), and now living in Northants for the past year.

I test drove a westy sew that is local and despite being very quick (maybe too much of an animal for my requirements) it just didnt feel special enough, at least not like the pembleton does or the lomax did. Anyone could drive it quick, but for me, one of the joys of the pembleton is that there really is skill to make it go at any sort of reasonable speed, and it looks really cool.

I've had a bit if a think, and spoken to my wife and many people, and I think im going to bite the bullet and build myself a lwb, wide cockpit pembleton. Probably with a moto guzzi small block. That way I'll get about 70% more power, and I can build it with a long gearbox (2cv gearbox with a dyane diff), tall scuttle and higher sides or half doors, with a V screen and silencers, so it will be more of a tourer and less barky.

First job though is to buy a house early next year with a suitable garage.... then the fun can really start!

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:39 am

I saw your post on pistonheads to that effect last night. The offer still stands anyway.

I do remember following you and your Dad, squeezed into the Lomax, around the lanes and wondering how tight a bend you needed before you actually lifted off the throttle.. or the inside front off the road. :D

Welcome to JPSC and keep us up to date when you do build the new car. Even if it isn't a JP design.

namster

Postby namster » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:26 pm

adithorp wrote:
I do remember following you and your Dad, squeezed into the Lomax, around the lanes and wondering how tight a bend you needed before you actually lifted off the throttle.. or the inside front off the road.

The great thing about it was that it didn't really understeer. It kept gripping until the front inside wheel lifted and spun out the (small amount of) power. This meant it was very safe as you could drive it flat out everywhere (and I did).

The lomax was a lot bigger than the pembleton inside. The body of the lomax was about the same width as the track. The pembleton has the same track, but the body is like a cigar with the wheels sticking out.

I've got a section on my website for it here if you're interested in the read. Could do with a bit of an update tbf....

http://www.niallmcloughlin.co.uk/pembletonss

Marido
Name: Garrr

Postby Marido » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:25 pm

You'll be fine. If Jeremy Clarkson can squeeze into the new Aston Martin Vulcan then you should be alright.
Comfort on the other hand might be a separate issue

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”