Suspension Setup

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
shfury
Name: Simon

Suspension Setup

Postby shfury » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:50 pm

I dropped the Fury off with Dave Gallop (Track Developments) on Wednesday and picked it up on Saturday. A totally nice bloke and a wizard it seems when it comes to setting a car up :ugeek: . I can’t believe the difference just wished I had gone to see him sooner. The car is no longer trying to throw me out of the corners and into the nearest tree :shock: . I’ve learnt a lot from chatting to him and he was happy to give me a whiteboard session on slip angles et al ! Not a bad cuppa tea either :D

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Re: Suspension Setup

Postby pigeondave » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Ive only heard good things about Track Developments.

What did you have done? Just a geo set up or did they tweak the dampers too.

shfury

Postby shfury » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Before Dave even looked at the car he got a brew on and we had a really good chat about what I wanted from the car and how I used it, track, road, single two up and so on. He took some basic measurements, checked the corner weights with me in/out and then I left it with him. That night I got a full assessment by e-mail with a works narrative in order of importance! Arrived Saturday morning and had another 2 hour session to tweak bits and finalise the corner weights. Having built the car ground up I could immediately see a significant visual difference in the way he had it set, ride height looked much better and all the suspension geometry had changed (noticeable change in castor set up). He fitted Superflex bump stops to the Protechs and gave some further advice on trialling different settings in the future. Suffice to say the car drives beautifully, well balanced and is incomparable to the car I dropped off 2 days prior just wished I had done it sooner. I have almost certainly under estimated the importance of getting the geometry and suspension professionally set up whether its Dave G or another wizard out there it was definitely worth doing :D

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 pm

IRS car?

I was once told (by someone in the kitcar trade who drove a lot of cars) that he was always worried when testing a IRS car as it had the potential to be so far out as to be dangerous whereas a live axle car will always be pretty much OK.

shfury

Postby shfury » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:44 pm

You got it....IRS. As I got used to driving it I knew something wasn’t right, naturally it showed up most on the track when pushing it harder :) . All very well passing the IVA, enough said there :roll: . I’ll be the first to admit I’m still learning to drive my car but now looking at the initial setup data that Dave G produced I can see and better understand why the car was behaving like it did, at worst the rear was steering me out of the corners and the front pulling me in all of which was constantly changing during power delivery :shock: the changes he made are subtle in places brutal in others but its a different car now :D

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Pleased you have it sorted

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Did he get to the bottom of the clearance issues you were having with the rear uprights? What was the reasoning behind the swap to superflex bump stops?

ozePhoenix
Name: Ian Dawson

Postby ozePhoenix » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:48 am

Can you ask Dave Gallop if he's coming to Perth for a holiday anytime soon? ;) ...

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:32 pm

I've booked the Fury in with Dave for this weekend 23rd.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
Fingers crossed for good weather as its a long drive from Brighton.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Boss Racing at Brands would have been a little closer...

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”