Suspension Setup

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Re: Suspension Setup

Postby pigeondave » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:07 pm

jeffw wrote:Boss Racing at Brands would have been a little closer...

Yep and PGM is closer still. Ive been there and i believe that hes mates with boss.

I like the way that (from what ive heard) dave measures the car and cads it up then analyses everything. You then get a hit list of whats good and what can be done. Hes also got some sort of geo computer program that he uses. Maths is king in my book.

Id also like him to look at the ARB. Adi has the same one as me (bloody copy cat) although fury sportscars fitted my one and i dont think it's quite right as it locks in times of massive single wheel bump.
It would also be nice to get the thing set up correctly. Again a maths exercise.

We shall see how it goes and what he can / wants to do for me.

Its the little things im looking for like will changing the panhard rod angle give me any advantage. Checking bump steer which has been discussed in at least 2 good threads on this forum.

After all power is nothing with out control.

The final tweaks are done with the drivers bum but im about 5 years off that and anyway its a GT car.

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Re: Suspension Setup

Postby pigeondave » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:05 pm

I have been to see Dave At Track Developments the other Saturday.

We talked for a long time about set up and how the car behaves doing certain things. Then we went to the white board for some drawing and rough numbers. Hes a very knowledgeable guy and appears to know what makes a car handle well.

My only disappointment was my own fault. i didnt make it clear that I wanted more of what SHFURY had, which was a measured survey of the car to see where things could be improved. I was booked in for a geo set-up. Hey ho the show went on.

He fiddled about with the settings and gave me a little less castor one side a little more the other and changed the camber. The car now feels more planted on the motorway, so what ever hes done is good.

We spent a lot more time than usual (he said) talking about set up. This was partly due to the fact that i had the car previously set up at PGM http://www.pgmsussex.com/. The guy at PGM had never done a Fury before but was keen to give it a go. As it turns out my guesstimated settings off the net worked out not too bad. Dave was happy with the corner weighting as it was only 0.4mm out on the ride heights/spring platforms so it was left alone.

We chatted about we ARB and how it influences the car and how you can go too stiff on the front and that the rear ARB is far more sensitive and effects the cars handling more. Im now thinking i need to sort out the ARB and not go too crazy with it.

All in it was a good day, for me it was more like a lecture on suspension/grip as the car wasn't that far off to begin with. We also played on the computer as he has all the clacs set up on a spread sheet. this way i could see the levels changing as we changed different parameters.
Im thinking of going back when hes not a busy and have it all measured up and hes up for widening the pedal box over the winter so maybe i'll be able to fit some swish floor mounted pedals.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”