Road Tyres

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
MattD
Name: Matt Downes

Road Tyres

Postby MattD » Mon May 23, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi All

What's the current favoured road / List 1A tyre for a lightweight JPSC car ?
Need to get a new set of 4 in 15" to take the Stylus to Le Mans and beyond.

Took it last year and did 1200 miles in 10 days on a well used set of Toyo 888 GGs & it was knife edgy to say the least in wet.
Not ideal when you're just going from A to B. Likely we'll end up doing the same again this year.

Ive got another set of rims with 888 SGs, so the new ones are just for road trips. 205x50x15" is the required size.

Cheers

Matt

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Road Tyres

Postby jeffw » Mon May 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Avon CR500 or the new Avon ZZS would be my choice.

Edd

Postby Edd » Mon May 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Matt,
If they don't sort the fuel situation out we'll be sticking to the boring autoroute, which will kill me!
Edd

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 pm

I've run 888's on several Euro tours and you're right they aren't great in the wet and standing water on the motorway is scary. I tried cutting the "blind treads all the way to the edge and that was a huge success with much better wet grip. On the last day to Calais we had a downpour and had others on the radio telling me to slow the feck down. The down side was higher wear on the outer edge. The next year I tried only treating the inner edge which worked just as well without the wear issue.
I'm trying the new version R888r this year. Reports are that they're better in the wet than the old ones. The inner edge has all the cuts going to the edge (like my cut old ones) so Im inclined to believe they will be better.

micha
Name: Micha mertens

Postby micha » Mon May 23, 2016 10:12 pm

check out nangkangs latest semi-slick....availbale in compound S or M...interesting tyre for a very competitive price

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”