Star Brake upgrade

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Marticarr
Name: Martin Carrier

Star Brake upgrade

Postby Marticarr » Tue May 10, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi All
I am new to this and need a bit of help, I purchased a Star a couple of years back with the intention of working on it with my son and do a track day or 3 with it. Any how house move etc later we finally got around to making a start. This star has had a 2.o black top zetec fitted with ZX9 bike carbs and a type 9 5 speed box. we pulled engine out changed cam belt, water pump, idlers, tensioner, sump, clutch, couple seals on gearbox changed the pipes on inlet manifold plugs oil and filter reset brake peddle height and put it back together. Sorted one or two water leaks and hey presto it lives. We need to take it to Bogg Bros to set carbs up as its a bit lumpy and running rich. We have a trading estate at the back of our house so we got it out of the garage and gave it a shake down. So here's the thing its got a whole load of GO and not a great deal of WOO, on investigation its running standard 1256 Viva 8 inch discs font and drum rear, what's the best way to go with the front brakes I know you can get 10 inch vented disks for this but will then need to change callipers and carriers?. or do I buy some yellow stuff pads and try and get vented discs the same size to fit Does anyone have any ideas about the most economic way to up grade the brakes on my star
Many years ago I used to have a Star with Leader front with a crossflow in it and that was no where near as scary
Hope someone can help

RedStar
Name: Karl Davies

Re: Star Brake upgrade

Postby RedStar » Tue May 10, 2016 6:38 pm

what size bore master cylinder do you have? twin or single circuit brakes? Girling or Lockheed system?
Sylva Star 2L Fiat Twincam with Twin Weber 40 DCOE
Currently being restored after 10 years standing

Marticarr

Postby Marticarr » Tue May 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Photo 3.jpg

I am not sure on master cylinder so above picture may help its a twin circuit one pipe to rear and two pipes to front callipers below is the remote reservoir

Photo 4.jpg

And below again is pic of disc and calliper

GetFileAttachment.jpg

hope these pictures tell the story but as you can imagine space is tight

Thanks for your response
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Fri May 13, 2016 3:51 pm

I was wondering if your master cylinder size was too large for the size of the Viva brakes. Decreasing bore would increase pressure but also increase pedal travel.

Does the pedal feel spongy? Maybe the fluid needs changing (could have taken on water as its been standing for years). Do the wheels lock if you brake hard enough?

Marticarr

Postby Marticarr » Sun May 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi
The peddle feels good not too much travel and positive , the fluid has been changed in the whole system with DOT 4 spec fluid.
I did not try and lock the wheels whilst I had it out but will try it when I have the time. You may have a point about the master cylinder but I can't se any identification marks on it.
Thanks for taking the time to reply

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:47 pm

any progress on this?

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”