1999 Striker rebuild

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Christof
Name: Christof

Re: 1999 Striker rebuild

Postby Christof » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:49 am

So after drive home have a long list of jobs. First up some underbonnet cooling etc.

Also creating a cold air supply for carbs. Probabaly a bit excessive but should come out ok in the end.

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Postby peter030371 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:17 am

Are you going to put an air box on the carbs and then feed it from that slot?
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

Christof

Postby Christof » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 am

Not at this stage, I'm intending to form an ali channel along and up inside up close to carbs, but not an enclosed box. I don't know if it will improve performance and the car is fast enough to be honest, but it does get quite hot under the bonnet so it seems like a reasonable idea.
plus im also working on creating a forward hinged bonnet, not sure how that would work with an enclosed box.

Christof

Postby Christof » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Bonnet hinge stage 1 complete:-

Christof

Postby Christof » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 am

Bonnet now hinges :D

Titanium heat shield for starter

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:46 am

I am sure others would be interested in a video of the bonnet being hinged :)

I prefer my two peace bonnet but others have asked about hinging it before.

How hot does the starter get? The exhaust looks wrapped and a relatively long way from the starter. Is the shield tight to the starter or a cm or so away from it to allow air to pass between the two? I have found in the past that wrapping them too tight makes matters worse ;)

Christof

Postby Christof » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:59 am

Will do. Just need to finish off with a T shaped section of mesh to keep rocks out.
Here's a picture showing what cutting is required, central square for the frame and further squares either side to clear the radiator.
Its simply a threaded rod through a tube. The threaded rod has been fibreglassed to the inside of the bonnet.

The shield is around a cm off the starter, its held up by a figure-of-eight zip tie and a bellhousing bolt. Starter has already been back to supplier as it goosed itself when I broke down, not with much cranking so possibly overly hot. The bonnet vents probably help more, but I think this should help a bit :geek:

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:01 am

My nose cone has a similar cutout under it, RAW recommend this to help get some of the hot air from the radiator under the car and not into the engine bay. My cutout is all after the radiator though, I think any in front will 'bleed' cool are under the car rather that through the rad. Not sure if it helps but my temperatures seem OK on the few runs I have done so far.

I have an 8 port K type temperature logger so one spare day (whatever one of them is) I will fit sensors all over the car and go for a drive and record some real temperatures :)

Christof

Postby Christof » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Some more pictures :geek: the nosecone-to-rad shelf has helped reduce temps a deg or two

Christof

Postby Christof » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 pm

So I've decided I'd like to do some track days, but need to sort exhaust and induction noise which is deafening.
I've done some reading up and have started to make an airbox for the dcoe's as I didn't fancy paying £225 and I haven't played with fibreglass since I was a young lad. The box will have a short 100mm dia tube to a cone filter which, with some modification, will sit close to the bonnet slot I made previously. Not looking for 'ram' or power, just a reasonable noise reduction. Some photos of the action so far - damn that expanding foam is sticky!

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”