1999 Striker rebuild

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Christof
Name: Christof

Re: 1999 Striker rebuild

Postby Christof » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:11 pm

finally sorted the new ss tank - sender fitting leaked so bought new proper (imperial grr) bolts & hylomar blue and all good, but no -sender gives up and have to do it all again! that stuff is sticky!
shaped health&safety under dash cover- happy enough with shape for iva, just need to fix. polycarb was hard work this is a regular acrylic, about 2mm
noticed rear shocks were on hardest setting and harsh rear end- refuced stiffness and am getting clunking, think its shocks locking out on rebound/full extension- expect i need to lower ride height- there's about 1" thread above lockring- let me know what you think

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Postby peter030371 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 am

Fury drivers say you should have 120mm from the very front of the chassis to the ground and 140mm from the rear of the chassis to the ground. I have set my Striker (IRS not LA thought) up to his and it seems good for now. Not been on the track yet but on the road this works fine with no horrible handling or clearance issues :)
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

Christof

Postby Christof » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:24 am

ok will have a look. something definitely not right.
maybe a longer spring required.......

anyone know a trick for turning the lockring - looks like a specific tool is required

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 am

To adjust the platform height you need a "C-spanner" They're not expensive but be sure to get the right size for your shocks. (either 1.9" or 2.25")

Trace the cause of the clunk rather than just guressing (are all your pinch bolts tight?). Assuming the height is OK, I can't see how longer spring will help other than moving the platform down. Possibly longer shocks if they are topping out. Get the ride height approx' right and then jack up the body and see how much the shocks extend before they are at full extention. You want between 1/2 and 1/3rd the full travel to be available as droop (and 1/2to 2/3 as bump). For approx' ride height I'd set the front so the lower wishbone is horizontal in a line between chassis pivot and centre of bottom ball joint, then set rear so the chassis at the back is about 20mm highter than the front. Do it with 1/2 tank of fuel and your weight in the seat.

Christof

Postby Christof » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:20 pm

ok thanks will take a look and have a proper think

also previously drilled some brake shoe peep holes in the rear brakes (rubber bung), have seen this crop up on other iva's (mines in 4 weeks eek!). Seems like a nonsense but hey ho.

micha
Name: Micha mertens

Postby micha » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:52 pm

also important: if the shocks are fully extended the springs still need to be slightly under load / tension. if they come loose the platforms are set-up too low...or wrong spring-length, wrong shocks length or wrong spring rate

Christof

Postby Christof » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:27 am

Had a play around last night and I pretty sure its the shocks locking out on full extension.
Also noticed the rear shocks are different to front shocks so suspect they have been swapped at some point.
I believe the shocks have been set to fully hard to prevent this but ultimately the shocks appear to be too short, there isn't much thread above the bottom spring holder.

The ride height is about 10cm to chassis at front and 11-11.5 at rear (roughly) so already fairly low. It was set up professionally (i have a print out on the file). Will have to buy a spanner and lower it a bit to see how we get on.

micha

Postby micha » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:57 pm

sylva supplied the kits with same lenghth shocks, front &rear

i have recognized that ist better using slightly longer shocks on the rear (not sure if it was 1" or only 1/2")

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Postby peter030371 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 am

Christof wrote:Had a play around last night and I pretty sure its the shocks locking out on full extension...

What make of shocks are they? I can't quite tell from the pictures. If they are Protech then you can get an extension for the top eye which might help.
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

micha

Postby micha » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:53 am

steel GAZ with Faulkner (?) Springs

top-eye extension will lengthen the shock, but does not give you extra travel...that was the reason why i fitted longer shocks as the rebound travel was too short

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”