1999 Striker rebuild

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Jester
Name: Anthony

Re: 1999 Striker rebuild

Postby Jester » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:35 am

Christof wrote:ok thanks will take a look and have a proper think

also previously drilled some brake shoe peep holes in the rear brakes (rubber bung), have seen this crop up on other iva's (mines in 4 weeks eek!). Seems like a nonsense but hey ho.

Is that a must do for the IVA. I have had my car build going on pre IVA :?: Did not make the SVA in anyway other stuff got in the way :roll: Mine are standard mk1 Fiesta brake drums at the back with mods at all

Christof
Name: Christof

Postby Christof » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:06 pm

thanks all
they are gaz shocks, not sure re springs
whats the top eye extension? no luck on google

re the brake hole, i recall iva manual states requirement for something like easy inspection of shoe/pad wear.
http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.co. ... t.html?m=1
raw said they didn't worry/know about this, probably quite low on the list of checks

took her out for another spin and still won't accelerate properly, flat and bit juddery on open throttle, wont rev up quickly, low power. also runs quite hot and so im thinking not enough advance, though it's already fairly tricky to start her up

have ordered a gun and will check the timing... tbc!

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Shock extenders give you an extra 1" of length...

http://www.protechshocks.co.uk/extended-tops/

I know tin-tops with drums now have a viewing hole in the backplate but this is the first mention I've ever seen for IVA.

micha
Name: Micha mertens

Postby micha » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:41 pm

trciky to start? what you mean?

as you already have a high torque started motor the engine should spin-over easily

ign. timing:
the more advance, the hotter an engine runs and the more difficult to start

i guess you have synchronized the carbs?
and the carbs are correctly jetted? i mean, they might have come with the car, but who knows if they ever worked correctly b4?

whats the exact type of webers? 40DCOE????

Jester
Name: Anthony

Postby Jester » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:49 pm

by Christof » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:06 pm

re the brake hole, i recall iva manual states requirement for something like easy inspection of shoe/pad wear.
http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.co. ... t.html?m=1
raw said they didn't worry/know about this, probably quite low on the list of checks

adithorp

I know tin-tops with drums now have a viewing hole in the backplate but this is the first mention I've ever seen for IVA.

Thanks for the replys On this (Post high jack ) :roll:

Good luck with The IVA

Christof

Postby Christof » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 pm

turns over well enough it seems but doesn't burst into life, takes a fair while on first go.fyi its also high compression, fast cam

could well be carb issue (40dcoe) previous owner set up and its seen a fair bit of rust in fuel, plus one carb is smellier than other
im slowly learning about them...

ive had a play and timing seemed (faint mark) to be around 8btdc, now around 9. centrifugal advance seems to be working ok. also used carb cleaner and have added some fuel additive- given it runs rich, assume there is some coke in there

didnt fart when i turned it off, maybe a good sign

it revs up fine on the drive, but did this before, struggles when actually driving- hopefully take it for spin again soon

lifted chassis and shocks/springs didn't appear to drop at all...
struggling to turn platform as the spring is still in tension and my spring compressors are too fat on these baby springs
at present my rear suspension is the tyres!
assume clockwise to wind platform down...

micha
Name: Micha mertens

Postby micha » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 pm

eve when under load the platforms should move with a c-spanner. car should be lifted-up for doing this work to reduce load on coils.

on certain brand of shocks the plaforms are secured by a scrub-screw against turning. have you checked?

static ignition timing should be around the 15degree mark for tuned engines and total advance should be around 35degrees

Christof

Postby Christof » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:32 pm

So its off to IVA on Friday, wish me luck! Hopefully I'll get a reasonable tester. Hopefully a small list if I do fail...

Have had a trying few days sorting out the carbs which have been causing it to run rich and rough- last minute drama!

New 175 needle valves (plus one washer was missing), floats adjusted -they were miles out, reduced fuel pressure slightly, cleaned out pump jets and now seems all is well and no more leaking into&out of the throats! Fingers crossed.

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Postby peter030371 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:01 am

Good luck for the IVA :)
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 am

Good luck with the test. The testers are pretty good and the test isn't as bad as some people make out. Should it fail, you've got a definative to do list.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”