1999 Striker rebuild

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
CraigJ
Name: Craig

1999 Striker rebuild

Postby CraigJ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Thought I would do a thread on this car as I'm not far from completion now.

A few years ago I was building an Onyx Mongoose with a ZX10 engine, But lack of funds due to a crap job wasn't doing me any favours so I sold it to a nice guy up in the Scottish borders.

I finally got out of the crap job and started being paid for my what I'm good at but kit cars took a back seat as I wanted to buy a dream car. A Porsche 911.

I owned and did lots of work on this to make sure it was running and driving spot on for the 2 years I owned it. This then went up for sale as I fancied a Vantage but once sold I got cold feet about spending 30+ grand on a weekend car and looking through ebay and autotrader I spotted a nice 997 for sale local. A quick viewing and test drive and it was mine.

This was so much nicer than the 996 i had before it.

After about 6 years of doing my job I decided to leave and go self employed. So the 911 had to go to fund the start up. I really miss that car.

Six months into being self employed and business is doing well and better than expected. I was starting to look at kit cars as I wanted some thing to do in my spare time as my work usually leaves me with about a week and half in the middle of the month where its quiet due to customers budgets and I wanted to keep busy.

After missing out on a Fury on ebay I started looking at new kits. A visit to MNR and I was going to order a Vortx but i was still searching ebay and a Striker popped up in hull. Built in 99/2000 and only ever used as a track day car. Never been on the road and had been sat unused for a long time but started and drove (almost).

Here is the car the day i brought it home

The plan was just to tidy it up and make it good enough to go through IVA but once I started to really look it over I realised it needed to be fully rebuilt. So i just ripped it apart.

Calipers were knackered.

Bare chassis just panels to go

Tie wraps were used a lot on this car, brake lines, fuel lines etc.

All panels off

Started the long process of cleaning and painting parts

All ball joints replaced with new ones

Axle cleaned ready for paint

Chassis almost back to bare metal

Engine and box cleaning up

Chassis cleaned, painted and panels back on.

Front suspension, rack and column back in

Took 3 attempts to get the right track rod ends

Live axle back in

Santa arrived early and brought me a load of new parts, Acewell dash, wiring loom, full gasket kit for the engine, catch tank and lights plus loads of other stuff

Gearbox cleaned and painted.

Then the engine. Due to the car not being as described I was doubting the spec of the engine. steel rods/crank etc was claimed. So i pulled it apart to see what was really in there. It wasn't as described but wasn't too bad either.

Big valve head with a bit of porting, 1300 pistons with machined tops to allow for the kent 244 cam, double valve springs and duplex timing kit. It has twin 40 carbs also.

Block painted and going back together

New calipers

Brake fluid cap to meet IVA requirements

Wheels arrived, 13x6

Engine and box back in

routing the fuel line

Ignore the tie wraps there only to hold in place as i decide on the route. Gear stick had been cut really short so i made this a bit longer with a new thread and a nice new nylon gear knob.

And just one last shot.

as it sits today. I need to finish the fuel line off and secure it. Refit the carbs after i have rebuilt them. Them start on the wiring.

Plan is to have it finished buy the end on this year and try for IVA early 2016.

CraigJ

Re: 1999 Striker rebuild

Postby CraigJ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Few more pics.

Started laying the loom through the car

The helper

Tyres fitted so I got the wheels on and rolled it out and had a good clean up in the garage

The plan is to crack on with the front end wiring this week.

What have others used for securing the wiring around the chassis?

CraigJ

Postby CraigJ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:40 pm

few more bits done.

Spending a lot of time doing the wiring. Fuses and relays mounted.

Picked up a nice little rubber gater for the gearstick and also used some black heat shrink to tidy it up.

Starting running the loom out front for the lights and other bits. nice big ebay grommets to keep it tidy.

Powervamp battery and new throttle cable installed

Random engine bay pic

Started on the dash mock up. Keeping it nice and simple. Still choke cable to mount and immobiliser to fit then it can be covered in some genuine fake leather.

The body work is due back this weekend from the brother in laws so I will be fitting the rear end and getting all the rear lights in and finished off.

Still hoping to have it completed by the end of this year.

CraigJ

Postby CraigJ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:41 pm

few more pics.

not a great deal to see as most of the things i have been doing are all the small bits, wiring ect.

Headlights mounted and wired up. Left the bubble wrap bags over them so i don't scratch them while walking past.

Dash all finished and trimmed up. All wiring complete.

Rear end back from the brother in laws. mounted and all lights in and wired up.

Still need to make a mount for the exhaust, wire in the immobiliser and mount the cycle wings with indicators/side repeaters.

I'm waiting on the seats arriving along with a few other small bits.

all being well it will be finished in the next few weeks.

Edd

Postby Edd » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Liking it, nice and classic.
Edd

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:18 pm

great build well done look forward to the next instalment

The Baron
Name: Richard Greenwood

Postby The Baron » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:41 am

Loving the rebuild. Great job!
Regards Richard
Richard Greenwood@rgsprinting

CraigJ

Postby CraigJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Haven't managed to get a great deal done over Christmas due to the wife making me visit family. The things I do to keep her happy.

My seats arrived from Kitcardirect. I was very unsure if I was going to fit in these seats as the striker is very narrow but I took a gamble and I fit fine.

I then cracked on with getting the new cycle wings mounted. Need sending of for paint once the holes for indicators/side repeaters are cut.

Top hose replaced as the old pipe just wouldn't seal for love nor money so a new piece cut and fitted. No more leaks now.

Also made a mount for the exhaust silencer but need to clean it up and paint it.

Things still to do:

Mount speedo pick up
fit immobiliser
finish bolting dash in place and fit indicator stalk and steering wheel
fit tunnel panels then the seats and harnesses can go in
Just the small odds and sods to do really.

Backed the car up the drive over the last week and drove it up and down while letting it go through a few heat cycles. Decided to wheel spin off and was soon reminded that I need to fit inner wheel arch covers in the rear end as the back of my head got pelted with stones and mud from the drive. lesson learnt.

Toys2
Name: Toys2

Postby Toys2 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Looking great, I'm rebuilding a Striker that I got from Hull last year too!!
My rebuild is more on the surface as it's already registered, that said I've fitted a race dash, new stalks, switches, front and rear lights, new (old) seats, gave it a respray and have done lots of rework in the engine bay

Will you be leaving the short windscreen on for the IVA test? I wonder if they would treat it as a regular windscreen as it probably comes into the drivers field of view, meaning it would need wipers, washers and a demister, it may be best to leave it off for the test and cover up the mounts

Can you tell me where you got the cycle wings, model number etc, I don't usually like that style, but I think that your's look good on the Striker

CraigJ

Postby CraigJ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:50 pm

The cycle wings are from ebay. cost about £70 i think. Cant seem to find them right now though sorry.

I'm going to swap the clear screen for black perspex and will hopefully pass.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”