Zetec SE for my Striker,good or bad?

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
JohnEM
Name: John Manser

Zetec SE for my Striker,good or bad?

Postby JohnEM » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:00 am

Chaps my Striker needs a new engine my current thinking is to go Zetec SE, the 1600 Pinto (currently in) couldn't pull the skin of a rice pud.
I will be using the Striker for hillclimbing next year so want a light but powerful engine. 194 BHP mentioned by Paulc Riot from 1.6 sounds good.
any downsides? and how to mount it in a Striker, does anyone use the front mount as in the Fiesta?
John

David
Name: David Hussey

Re: Zetec SE for my Striker,good or bad?

Postby David » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi John

Not maybe the technical response you're after -- but I sprint my 1600XE (Vauxhall) Striker against a couple of 1.6 Zetec SE Westies, and I can confirm that (even untuned) they drive a Se7en pretty darned well ;)
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

mattf

Postby mattf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm putting a Zetec SE in the Fury I'm building. I am not using the front mount as used in the Fiesta/Focus etc. There are a number of threaded bosses on the side of the block that can be used for mount. I'll dig out some photo's and post them a bit later... You will need a new bellhousing though as the hole pattern on the SE isn't the same as the pinto. You can get bellhousings from Caterham, Westfield, Shawspeed (which is what I have) or Burton (thoise are the places I know of.......). I think the Caterham and Westfield ones use a hydraulic clutch (which I believe is a standard Ford item). The Shawspeed bellhousing can use a clutch cable or a hydraulic clutch. The hydraulic clutch set-up used with the Shawspeed bellhousing is a Burton set-up. The alternator also needs to be modified as it need a signal from the Ford ECU to work properly. I got mine from Shawspeed but I believe (although I'm not 100% sure) all you need is an alternator from an early 1.25 Fiesta.
Building a Fury........slowly!

mattf

Postby mattf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:47 pm

Found some pictures.....

Drivers side mount on the MK Indy

Drivers side mount on my Fury

JohnEM
Name: John Manser

Postby JohnEM » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks Matt
I like the idea of using a non-hydraulic clutch as that is what I currently have.
So far all good Cheers

mattf

Postby mattf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:22 pm

I don't know how much space is available in the Striker but in my Fury I have to use a hydraulic clutch with the Shawspeed bellhousing, because the clutch release arm is on the drivers side!

After a quick google check, it appears that BPJ Services also offer a bellhousing for the Zetec SE.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”