Exhaust on R1 Fury

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Exhaust on R1 Fury

Postby Ian Kelly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi gents,

My exhaust seemsm to have got louder recently, and started noticeably popping on downshifts :P ... It's the standard exhaust, suplied by KCW originally, c3 years ago. It generally sounds a bit farty now, which I'm not that keen on. There's no leaks from the headers or from the front join to the silencer.

When i put my hand over the tailpipe it makes absolutely no difference to the engine idle. A lot of gas is obviously escaping from where the tail section is riveted in. Is this normal?

If i drill the rivets out to have a nosey, do i need to put it back together with special rivets (i.e. stainless) or can i use standard ones?

Advice appreciated,

Thanks, Ian

mkII
Name: mark lawson

Re: Exhaust on R1 Fury

Postby mkII » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi ian, stainless rivits would best as mild steel ones will rust,last time i took my silencer apart i replaced the rivits with ss m6 bolts with the nuts tig welded to the inside of the end cap. gas should not be escaping from the end cap, joint leaks can be sealed using silicone sealer on assembly.also if your going to go to the trouble of removing and dismantling your silencer you may as well repack it at the same time . m.

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:20 pm

If you do decide to repack it then don't use anything other than basalt , it will lower db's by between 2 to 4 db's . All the other materials including the much talked about ' E ' glass long strand need repacking regularly. Since using basalt starting in 2006 I've never repacked mine and previously it got done every other event . It now gets tested at between 98 and 102 db's depending on who does it plus the weather.

Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Postby Ian Kelly » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks gents,

Can you really seal the end of the silencer with silicone sealant? I would have thought it wouldn't like the heat.

Anywa, just discovered Merlin motorsport website, ordered basalt from them. Seems a good outlet, anyone any experience of them?

Thanks again,

Ian

DavidM
Name: David Merriman

Postby DavidM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Yeah had good service from them :) Not always that competitive price wise I've found though.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Silicone is safe to very high temps. Certainly fine on silencers and used by some bike can manufacturers. I wouldn't use it on a manifold though. Clear is best because the dye/colour in black, white, etc isn't as temp resistent as the silicone itself. having said that I've used black plenty of times when thats all I've had.

adrian

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”