Sylva Star rebuild

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
RedStar
Name: Karl Davies

Sylva Star rebuild

Postby RedStar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:36 pm

OK so here is my main thread for the rebuild of my Sylva Star.

It has a 2L Fiat Twincam running with twin 40 DCOE's, quick shift box, magnesium alloy wheels and a red Leader body (but its a Star underneath).

Bought it from a nice chap by the name of Andrew who actually built the car, so I'm only the second owner!

It was originally on eBay, but he removed it after someone viewed it and told him it wasn't in as good condition as he thought. The car was kept at his parents house a few hours drive away from him so was unaware it had got that bad. He planned to relist with up to date images and description but I made him an offer before that which he accepted.

1.jpg

This is what I saw when I went to view it. Not the best, but it has potential!

Turns out its a Star with a Leader body (apparently the original green Star body reacted badly to UV and a free replacement body was given but the Star moulds were gone by then so a Leader body was used). Still states Star on V5.

I've now got my Star in my garage in darkest South Wales where it currently resides in more pieces than it arrived in.

Plan is to get everything stripped, cleaned and rebuild (replace where needed). Its not going to take a month or two but having it on the road next summer would be great (that's my plan).

Thanks for reading,
Karl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RedStar on Tue May 06, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylva Star 2L Fiat Twincam with Twin Weber 40 DCOE
Currently being restored after 10 years standing

MaRkStar
Name: Mark Rapley

Re: Sylva Leader rebuild

Postby MaRkStar » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi Karl
As mentioned, see below
Mark

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes . . .
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 pm

I've now got to the point where the rear body is off the chassis! 8-)

body off.jpg

A few parts have had to come off to get to this point, including -

Seats, harnesses, handbrake lever, quickshift, gearbox cover, fuel tank, petrol pump, dash, wipers, wiper motor, washer bottle, windscreen, steering column, all wiring and fusebox.

Many parts came out no issue but some fixing were rusted to the point of being unable to unscrew (windscreen fixing bolts being a good example). Plenty of rivets drilled out and the body pooped off with a bit of gentle persuasion. 8-)

Next step is to get rear axle out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NeilEverett
Name: Neil Everett

Postby NeilEverett » Thu May 01, 2014 7:09 am

Looks like good progress so far!
Sylva Mojo 2.0 Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

RedStar

Re: Sylva Star rebuild

Postby RedStar » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:01 pm

OK I've got into the rear diff and all appears fine......but I have a question I cannot find the answer to online.

What should the backlash be between crownwheel and pinion on a 1256 axle? I'm getting 0.011" - should it be 6-8 thousands? If so I'll have to shim it or something :(

Pics up soon once I get it back together and painted (got some black Rustoleum Combi color to go on).

Regards,
Karl

MaRkStar
Name: Mark Rapley

Postby MaRkStar » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi Karl
Below is a scan of the specs page in the service training manual, which is the only page to mention backlash.
If not post on the VVOC forum someone should know on there. . . ah, just noticed you already have :)
Mark

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes . . .
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks Mark, that's great (and faster than the guys over in Viva land).

Looks like I need to find some shims or get some spacers machined up!

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Got some spacers machined up by a friend that shifted the assembly over by 5 thousands - backlash is now 6 thou - lovely! :D

Next step is to clean the inside out, clean and re-install filter at bottom of diff and re-assemble. 8-)

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Got the inside of the diff cleaned out and ready for reassembly.

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Haven't done much to note on the Star for the last few weeks as the weather has been too good. It cant last (this is Wales) so I'm sure more will get done soon.

What I have got done is one of the bucket seats stripped, rusted parts of frame cut out (there was so much rust it was falling apart and unsafe to use) and welded in new steel tubing. Painted frame and then reassembled seat cover - which was a pain in the butt.....will do a full write up on the drivers seat if anyone is at all interested?

Bring back the rain.....only because it gets on my nerves I can't go out driving in the Sylva (maybe next year).

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”