Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Sylva J15 Build

Postby jeffw » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:43 pm

That's a lot of pipes....is is quiet?

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:59 am

Primaries certainly look long though maybe optical illusion being packaged to fit there. I assume that's a calculated length and wonder if the 180 bends affect it?

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:44 pm

kdempsie wrote:Hi Dave,

Yes pretty pleased with it. Just wondering how to insulate the fibreglass body around it now!

Keith

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/h ... insulation
or
http://www.zircotec.com/page/--zircoflex-i/148
or
http://www.zircotec.com/page/-_performance_white/41

I believe Jeff has this on the whole system so he maybe able to give some comments on how well it works.
But its expensive I believe and not shiny (if its expensive its got to be shiny)

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:58 pm

pigeondave wrote:But its expensive I believe and not shiny (if its expensive its got to be shiny)

Unless it's carbon, in which case it can be matt... but even then it's better shiny!

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:24 pm

The Zircotec coating is excellent except for three things...

1. It doesn't stay white, mine is a dirty yellow colour now
2. It keeps the heat in the exhaust....which has to come out somewhere so the first plain piece of exhaust will get a lot hotter than you expect (like wrapping)
3. Cost....it works very well but they certainly know how to charge. My headers and collector cost £400 to do.

kdempsie
Name: Keith Dempsie

Postby kdempsie » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks guys,

Yes I think I will need to bite the bullet and ceramic coat it, hopefully that will also help keep the CAT hot.

Fingers crossed for some good dyno numbers when I get it mapped.

Keith

kdempsie

Postby kdempsie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:56 pm

jeffw wrote:That's a lot of pipes....is is quiet?

I'm actually not sure about that yet, I've only managed to run it for a few minutes but it should be OK for IVA (at least that was part of the spec for building).

Keith.

kdempsie

Postby kdempsie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:09 am

Well I'm making some progress at the moment, the body will go off to paint this weekend. In this case it is my last chance to make any changes so I am wondering about adding vents to the engine cover. I have mocked up a couple with black card but I'm not really convinced.

The exhaust is off for ceramic coating and should be back early next week. Once it's back I'll get the engine running again and finish tidying all the wiring into position to be ready for the return of the body.

Hopefully lots more progress in the next few weeks.

Keith

kdempsie

Postby kdempsie » Fri May 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Well it was IVA day today, it went pretty well but unfortunately I failed on a couple of items. The speedo calibration was 'nae good' and there was a little imbalance between the rear brakes. All in all I'm disappointed not to have passed first time but not too disheartened with only a couple of easyish things to sort.

The speedo was behaving badly all week and the original gauge failed on Wednesday night so I had to use plan B, unfortunately it is calibrated by measured distance and could not be adjusted on the day after I had done it on the way in.

The emissions were a bit of a pain but squeaked through in the end, the CAT does not appear to be very effective. The engine mapper (Ricky Gauld) came with me to the test and managed to adjust the numbers to get it passed - MOT time might be an issue, I'll think about that later.

So a little bit of tweaking before the on road development begins - its been a long time coming!

Keith.

MattD
Name: Matt Downes

Postby MattD » Fri May 27, 2016 4:31 pm

Well Done, Lovely looking car..... not much to do now !

Good choice of colour & interesting take on the front indicators too.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”