Sylva J15 Build

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
kdempsie
Name: Keith Dempsie

Re: Sylva J15 Build

Postby kdempsie » Fri May 27, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks Matt. I took a bit of a risk with the front indicators but I couldn't see any minimum size in the IVA manual (I might have just missed it though!), they are quite bright because they are LED.

The real reason I did it that way was to avoid putting additional holes in the body because I bought the LED headlights from Furore a while back and they have Halo indicators built in, and I just thought it might look better. hopefully the LED headlights are worth the effort!

Keith.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Fri May 27, 2016 9:39 pm

Well done. Thats a nice short "to do" list.

How come you didn't test it with the LED head lights? ...and yes, they are worth it. Mine are like having your own personal Sun when driving at night and the DRL's have made a noticeable difference to the number of cars that pull out on me. I do like the look of the J15 with a full screen. Is it removable like on Jeremys Vectis demo' car?

kdempsie

Postby kdempsie » Fri May 27, 2016 11:20 pm

I actually thought the LED lights were too bright for IVA without either washers or maybe self levelling. I hope that was the case or I wasted a lot of effort on the indicators for a temp solution :lol:

The screen could be removed but it's a bit of a pain because some of the bolts are behind the dash and not captive nuts. I was starting to wonder if the screen was worth all the hassle with the heating elements, wipers etc and the sticky pad mounted interior mirror is unsticking itself fairly quickly! It felt pretty good in terms of wind protection driving today so hopefully that will make it worthwhile.

Keith.

kdempsie

Postby kdempsie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:24 pm

IVA passed this morning and registration applied for, yippee. :D

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:15 am

Yeah, well done that man !

kdempsie

Postby kdempsie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks Jeff.

So my final IVA trip was relatively fuss free. I realised I had made a silly mistake with the speedo sensor and was using a sensor with magnets that didn't want to sense magnets. So that was a straightforward case of changing the sensor and re calibrating the gauge.

The rear brake balance was sorted by adjusting a caliper position to make sure it was square to the disc. I then bedded them in on axle stands, I went a little too far and had to deglaze them afterwards :oops:

I then drove the car to an MOT station so that I could get a brake test done the day before the retest and calibrate the speedo. There is also one of the road side speed traps near the MOT garage that is accurate to my other car's speedo, so I used at to check the calibration.

On the day of the retest I took the morning off for my 10.20am appointment and left in good time for the short journey. Quite out of character it has been nice weather for each of the three obligatory drives so far, this is just as well as I haven't fully sealed the sills yet to give me some last minute access after the test.

I got stopped by the Police on the way to the test, which was all quite funny as they were very polite and a bit confused by the whole no registration number but accepted the VOSA paperwork was genuine.

The retest took no time at all to come back with the pass. The rear brake balance could still be better so I might keep an eye on that whilst bedding them in more on the road. The speedo calibration looks good with an indicated 70mph being an actual 68mph.

I managed to get the documents sent off for registration that morning so here's hoping for a quick turnaround for number plates.

There are a few jobs I want to do before I get driving, seal the sills incase I get caught in the rain, reroute the throttle cable as it seems to be dragging a little and the front pads seem to be vibrating a lot when I'm off the brakes so I need to figure that out. Otherwise just a case of getting some miles in, thinking about set up and get reacquainted with driving small lightweight cars with a lot of pent up fury in them!

Keith.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”