Replacment Hubs/Axles/Brakes on a Star

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
MaRkStar
Name: Mark Rapley

Re: Replacment Hubs/Axles/Brakes on a Star

Postby MaRkStar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:44 pm

Chaps once again much gratitude for the advice and suggestions, looks like I can keep things as they were designed and replace like for like, which in once sense totally makes sense, seeing that Jeremy knew what he was doing.

The MOT results are in . . . and the winner is . . .

It failed. After haggling over a couple of really picky things which I may start another post on, I have three trivial things to sort out. Pedals must have some anti slip material on them, never had it before, never failed on this before, but an easy fix. There is a 5 mm nick in one of the harness straps right at the end, again easy to fix as its on the spare non load part. Both headlights were high which was a bit funny seeing they had been adjusted the day before using a light beam gizmo! They'll do it for free anyway. So quite easy really. There were a number of advisorys predominantly corrosion on the brake line joints.

The thing I questioned and eventually got waved is that the wipers do not park. In fact they never have parked and never will park, and it has never failed on this before either. The motor is a very simply single speed with no park connection, there is just a two pole connection to it, so to get them to park means replacing the motor and probably the gearing as well. This is apparently now a fail. Is this correct? I can understand it on a more modern car where the park has been standard for years, however to me it seems a little odd that updates to the MOT legislation are now retrospective. Is this correct?

Anyway . . . re-test in the morning and I'll let you know how it goes.

Mark
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes . . .
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind

beemer
Name: Tony lans

Postby beemer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:38 pm

From http://www.motester.co.uk/CarOwnersGuid ... fault.aspx
WIPERS DON'T PARK

Could you please tell me if your wipers do not return all the way down can this be a failure on an MOT Test. The wipers clear the windows correctly but they do not come to rest at the bottom of the windscreen.
They also failed it because the intermittent wipe did not work. Can they do that? Mr C W Orton

The easy bit first. The intermittent wipe has nothing to do with the MOT and should not result in a failure. Provided the wipers clear the screen whilst operating they will not fail. The fact that they do not come to rest in the correct place doesn’t matter with respect to the Test of the wiper operation – BUT – If the wipers obstruct the windscreen when at rest, then that could be a failure on the basis that the driver’s view of the road will be obstructed if the place they come to rest does indeed obstruct the driver’s view. - MOTT

And from the MOT testers manual
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_820.htm

MaRkStar

Postby MaRkStar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:00 pm

Cheers Beemer

Hummm is my initial thought, yes it is possible that the wipers will come to "rest" in a place that obstructs the screen, but the place they come to rest is due to operators turning them off at the wrong time. So a slight grey patch me thinks. From the MOT manual link I would say they should pass. The wipers work as long as the switch is on, but turn them off whilst in the middle then they will be "parked" in the middle.

Another interesting aspect. Should I have to modify a car which has the components as it was originally built (as a Star or Viva) in order to pass the MOT? Seeing that the donor didn't have a motor that could park the wipers at the bottom do I have to retro fit it now? Many older classic cars will fall foul of this.

In any case like every other aspect of the car the wiper mechanism is already on the list to replace as it creaks like an olde rocking chair.

The POA was to keep the car running for the next five years, so I can finish my course and get settled in my new career and then carry out the chassis up rebuild, might need to rethink that.

Mark
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes . . .
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind

MaRkStar

Postby MaRkStar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:24 pm

FYI

I found the spec of MarkW's Star which he sent me a few years back you might be interested. JohnF does this answer what you said about the spec of his zetec conversion?

Mark

beemer

Postby beemer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:40 pm

I agree you shouldnt have to retrospectively change anything, its as it was built.

You could always remove the screen and wipers completely for the mot !!!

MaRkStar

Postby MaRkStar » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Got the MOT, all sorted for getting back to Enfield

Mark

beemer

Postby beemer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Good news on the MOT then.

When the Leader dash/seats/exhaust project etc are all finished hopefully planning on doing a trackday at Woodbridge(Suffolk) if anyone fancies it?

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”