Honington -- 13th May

For any motorsport activities
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Honington -- 13th May

Postby jeffw » Sun May 13, 2012 4:06 pm

The Audi is slightly more expensive to repair than the Phoenix....It is a repetition of a water ingress problem I had at Christmas...which took 2 months to fix. I'll be Mr Angry on the phone tomorrow....!

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Sun May 13, 2012 6:44 pm

jeffw wrote:The Audi is slightly more expensive to repair than the Phoenix....It is a repetition of a water ingress problem I had at Christmas...which took 2 months to fix. I'll be Mr Angry on the phone tomorrow....!

Is this a simple head gasket problem or waterways with pin holes :?:

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun May 13, 2012 7:01 pm

if only it was that easy Rob....it is water in the electrics/electronics.

What happened then David?

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sun May 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Most importantly, we had a Peugeot roll at the fast chicane. It was a double drive, so I hope it was the owner wot dun it. Also, it had been driven to the circuit :o . Nobody hurt more than pride though.

Paul Bowden had an "engine sprayed oil all over me" incident, which, unfortunately, was caused by the oil pump belt coming off at the start of the fast straight. Some form of bottom end rebuild will probably be necessary :(

Several other minor(but event curtailing) woes with many competitors, including a mystery bug with me under braking. Engine and gearbox ECUs simply cut. Turning the master switch off and on reinstated the leccy until the next heavy brake (ideas, Rob?).

In addition. of course, we were all shot-blasted :roll:
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Sun May 13, 2012 8:42 pm

David wrote:Most importantly, we had a Peugeot roll at the fast chicane. It was a double drive, so I hope it was the owner wot dun it. Also, it had been driven to the circuit :o . Nobody hurt more than pride though.

Paul Bowden had an "engine sprayed oil all over me" incident, which, unfortunately, was caused by the oil pump belt coming off at the start of the fast straight. Some form of bottom end rebuild will probably be necessary :(

Several other minor(but event curtailing) woes with many competitors, including a mystery bug with me under braking. Engine and gearbox ECUs simply cut. Turning the master switch off and on reinstated the leccy until the next heavy brake (ideas, Rob?).

It has to be some connecter or short which would possibly trigger the ecu to it's auto '' lacking less than ? volts '' --- switching off and on would then re-set :?: :?: Looks like yoou will have to check every wire/switch/connector :roll: Electrics are a pain and not my favourite task :evil: You had plenty of water flying around the car at Goodwood :?:

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon May 14, 2012 9:02 am

We don't seem to be having a good few weeks. Tragic accident at Goodwood + the 3 or 4 other recoveries, Caterham upside down in a ditch at Debden and now a Pug on its roof at Honington.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Mon May 14, 2012 10:13 am

@ Jeff -- no, not a great start to the season from a safety point of view :cry: . Pragmatically, also not too good that so many cars are being taken out of commission in a season where entry numbers are low.

@ Rob -- thanks for that. Initial scientific testing (turning on the ignition and waggling stuff) indicates that the cut-out switch can be persuaded to cut out whilst the key is in the "on" position :roll: Hopefully, Occam will apply and a new switch will solve.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Mon May 14, 2012 1:05 pm

David wrote:@ Jeff -- no, not a great start to the season from a safety point of view :cry: . Pragmatically, also not too good that so many cars are being taken out of commission in a season where entry numbers are low.

@ Rob -- thanks for that. Initial scientific testing (turning on the ignition and waggling stuff) indicates that the cut-out switch can be persuaded to cut out whilst the key is in the "on" position :roll: Hopefully, Occam will apply and a new switch will solve.

I had that particular problem when mine was still being driven on the road --- pulled in to a garage for petrol and then refused to re-start , totally dead :!: Sitting there thinking for a while , I then switched the cut-off off/on/off/on and away it went after a few attempts. Once I was at the venue I borrowed a pair of snips and cut a tiny circle from a piece of rubber tube from a friend --- shoved it into the master cut-off followed by the red key ----------- never happened again for years :P Got a new one now though ;)

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Tue May 15, 2012 8:13 am

Must be a common fault on these cut outs as I have had a couple on various cars in the past.
Sounds like another day full of controversy, let's hope all bits and pieces are back together and the rest of the season turns out well for us all

Dave Spencer
Name: David Spencer

Postby Dave Spencer » Wed May 16, 2012 6:06 pm

David wrote:Several other minor(but event curtailing) woes with many competitors, including a mystery bug with me under braking. Engine and gearbox ECUs simply cut. Turning the master switch off and on reinstated the leccy until the next heavy brake (ideas, Rob?).

Hi David,

I hope this is not going to keep you away from MIRA on the 26th?

Regards,

David.

Return to “Motorsport”