So why am I 3 or 4 secs slower?

For any motorsport activities
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: So why am I 3 or 4 secs slower?

Postby jeffw » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:35 pm

So someone who knows what they are talking about (unlike me !) has looked at the two traces and done this

You see from this that there is virtually nothing in it on initial accleration but the major differences are where Chris continues to accelerate to a sharp peak whereas I'm thinking about what to do next (hence the curved top to the graph). It is the return from the roundabout to the left hander where most of the gain is made. It was also suggested that I'm cornering to fast on the left hander and Chris is slower at the Apex but on the power earlier and hence faster.

So to quote the other forum completely !

"The green area you gain and lose about the same time. The biggest differences are, as you say, that he is more confident staying on the power longer and braking harder especially in the 1st and 2nd red areas. The 3rd red area is a smaller advantage and is probably more due to him accelerating out of that corner better. The rest of the track, as might be expected for slow corners, is less important.

The first 2 red areas are the biggest areas to look for improvements and, again as is expected, they are the hardest and fastest corners on the track. I find that on the return from the roundabout it is easy to position the car wrongly and then have to come off the power earlier to get across to the right ready for the left hander. I guess you can probably do some plan views and see where the 2 cars lines differ as long as you can sort out the GPS offset.

Either way, the fact is that he is on slicks and you are not. So in some places you won't be able to go as fast :)"

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:59 pm

as always great info and after my many hours of video study :lol: :lol: and thinking about my driving style your comments on going too fast in the corner remind me of myself :? . i try to carry too much speed into a corner but then of course you suffer on the exit!! I look at some of the videos and sometimes it does look slow but then a good smooth run is what we are after.

note to self must try harder to go slower ;)

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:06 pm

It reinforces the point I make to myself before the start of every run...I must be doing something (accelerating or braking) rather than the 'doing nothing' you can see on the graphs. This is probable why I do relatively well at Goodwood...less potential to do nothing :)

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Bit late, but I think I forgot to post a link to Chris's offending lap -- which can be found at: http://youtu.be/rLVQ5zjHo-4

If I have posted this somewhere, the repeat is simply a sign of senility coming on -- please forgive.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:17 pm

great vid and wow that does look fast :shock: :shock:

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:49 am

Simon

I think the impression of speed is enhanced by the frequency of gear-changes required with a BEC -- everything gets a bit frantic.

David
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

Return to “Motorsport”