Eelmoor mod driver training ground

For any motorsport activities
RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Eelmoor mod driver training ground

Postby RobMsport » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:57 am

After hitting a tree in 2007, in the pooring rain covered track , I hadn't intended ever to compete at Eelmoor again :( However being beaten at Odiham by a 6R4 that had previously not beaten me in 10 yrs , brought the idiot out in me enough to enter Eelmoor yesterday at the very last minute. It rained and stayed wet tarmac till 10-00am but then dried out , eventually being really hot and dry tarmac by lunchtime .
I felt apprehensive and wobbly legged on first practice so was careful but still did a 61sec's which was around level with my class and in the top 10 from 83 entries . Second practice was a little drier but still wet under the trees through the crossover esses and I did a 56 plus sec's run . This put me in front of my class and still in the top 10 . First timed run it was totally dry and hot tarmac so this had to be my banker I decided . Being in front of my class plus dry gave me the confidence I needed to put in a 54.9sec's time. This put me 1st in class and 2nd overall behind a much modified Skyliner . There were 3 more runs to count but I never bettered this time after that nor did my class mates. So I won the class and ended up 4th overall with the Skyliner clocking 53 sec's dead. The guys in between were 2nd overall a very well pedalled Westy of Tom Cauldecott then 3rd overall a beautifully prepared and driven MGB 400bhp on slicks double my sized tyres.

My class Sports Libre had myself and the 6R4 on slicks plus a Warrior Indy 6.9lt Chevy , both 4x4's but neither attended presentations which I thought a little unsporting , seeing as I applauded his win over me at Odiham . That's my lot now so if the others go to Lydden and do well , they could grab some points --- I won't be doing Lydden , we'll see :?:
It's just possible I could snick my class Championship in 2011.
There was oil coming from the gearbox after the first timed run so could be some work for winter --- haven't looked yet .

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Eelmoor mod driver training ground

Postby jeffw » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Braver man than I am. I did Eelmoor last year and promised myself not to go back...scary place.

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:55 pm

this sounds like an interesting course :o , not for me as well i do not like trees. will have a look on the internet to see if i can see how the course runs.

anyway well done Rob with a great overall finish.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:25 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLTmCpASx5I

This was my fastest from last year, 56.3secs.

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:38 am

You're right Jeff , I was definitely scared which is why I hadn't done it since my accident there . However , the encouragement came in the form of the 6R4 beating me at Odiham plus '' you ''. Just had to grit my teeth and enter :P

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:27 pm

wow that must be a nightmare in the wet, thanks for the link Jeff. I also found this one from the day but only start line action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WoJnw2T ... re=related

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 pm

My own tree episode was just after our FDMC magazine editor and competitor had hit a really big tree at the hairpin end . It was absolutely appalling conditions , in fact due to police and ambulance attention for him , the track was stopped for well over an hour that day and I even thought they may close the event but they didn't . I was about the 6th car to run after it restarted and promptly hit the tree before getting through the crossover .
He no longer competes but I have chatted with him via email .

I had not said to my son BUT had made up my mind to load and go home if it poured down on Sunday --- event fee would have been cheaper than any damage :roll:

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:57 pm

I do not blame you for that i do not think i would risk it in the rain! Its bad enough on a proper track let alone a close road like this one.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:18 am

Last year they had to cut a women, who was double driving, out of an Honda S2000 who had hit a tree on the cross-over. Took them several hours and the Police attended as well.

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 am

thats a coincident as the link i added has a s2000 being taken away on a flatbed in the background :shock:

Return to “Motorsport”