RAF Odiham FDMC Sprint 3rd Sept 2011

For any motorsport activities
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

RAF Odiham FDMC Sprint 3rd Sept 2011

Postby jeffw » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:50 pm

Had a great day out at RAF Odiham today which was very well organised by Farnborough & District MC. This is the first time Odiham has been used in 30-40 years for motorsport so we were all on our best behaviour.

Very fast circuit was laid out and this was my fastest lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-vh8CcfTU

FTD was 1.21 sec by one of the single seaters (20 secs faster than I was !). There was a Puma engined Striker going very quickly and Rob Farley in his Stylus who seemed to struggle with the number of cones ;)

And this is me killing cones during practise :) I slowed down as I thought the cone was still under the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqOecxhCxNw

David
Name: David Hussey

Re: RAF Odiham FDMC Sprint 3rd Sept 2011

Postby David » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:59 am

Looks a nightmare to learn, Jeff -- but rather exciting.

Glad the wishbones are sorted. Guy had a lower left failure braking for Mansfield a couple of years ago (lots of run-off, luckily). Mel reinforced the spec for motorsport -- no problems since.

You'll be pleased to know that my Westy friends have arranged for you to have a bit of competition at Brands.

All best

David
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:22 am

H'mmm , cones were definitely a problem for me . Most coned corners were instinctive after a lap or two but I found anticipating some whether left or right or how tight or open , just left me blank so approaching pretty fast meant me diving for the widest exit through the cones . I registered no time twice at the exact same point , just one left/right kink before the finish . Very annoying as the 2nd time was a good fast run everywhere else . It's a bugger getting old :( I assumed I'd be last in class but then managed to string together the two last runs at 144 something then 143.14sec's , which was 3 sec's slower than the winning 6R4 slickshod . That got me 2nd in class from four who were all quicker than me until my last ditch effort on the final run --- hard for me to absorb so many coned corners held as a picture in my head - my normal way of anticipating the next entry :o
Brilliant days fun all the same :P

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:36 am

Rob

I have exactly the same problem of senility when it comes to learning coned corners. It's a bit of an issue when you're a B19 member!

Still, it's Brands on Saturday -- at least there you can see the corners (except Paddock, of course), and you have to remember only four anyway .... :)

David
(Founder member of OFFOC -- Elderly Gentlemen For Open Circuits)
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Was is interesting (to me at least) is that, when I put sectors into the datalogging and have all 5 runs in, my theoretical fastest would have been a 1.38.5 (against 1.41.1 for real). I divided the circuit into 4 sectors and I was fastest on the first and last sectors on the first practise run ....having never seen it before. Very strange.

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Data logging :? I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it if I had it :D When I sit in the car there's a round thing in front of me which seems to help if I move it in time and when I can see clearly through my glasses , then I can straighten my right leg to ease the siatica ( however that's spelt ) ------- bingo it goes along a bit quicker -------- just not quick enough to stop Jeff taking the urine :lol:

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:20 pm

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:08 pm

good stuff guys looks like the weather held off and looks like all went well

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:42 am

Jeff ---- I didn't realise your data and video could learn and map an unknown circuit :o Looking at your trace around that lap I can see why and where I lost direction. Our FDMC track map shows a definite short link between the last two RIGHT and LEFT loops but on track the last loop follows immediately ------ which is what threw me :?
I can see now how useful your video kit is 8-)

Return to “Motorsport”