Tyres

For any motorsport activities
David
Name: David Hussey

Re: Tyres

Postby David » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Jeff

Never used A021s, but have a set of CR28s for the wet, which I believe are similar -- and can testify that it has to be sufficiently wet that I'm "beginning to question my sanity for driving an open car in these conditions at my age" before they become better than a really soft set of normal 1Bs. They certainly clear more water, but they don't seem to warm up. I don't think I've done more than 10-15 runs on them in the four years I've owned them.
You could consider a set of SGs, or possibly K11 or K21 V70As as they have more of a recognisable "tread" on them, as your combined "competition and wet" package. Let's face it, if you're going to drive the Phoenix to events you can't take a set of wets with you -- meaning that you will have to decide in advance whether the day is going to be wet. If the track dries, and you find yourself stuck on A021s, you are going to be at a big disadvantage.

HTH

David

P.S. hopefully see you tomorrow.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:43 am

Kumhos are odd sizes for me (no 205/60 13 for instance) so I would need to run 185/70 13. If Camskill ever get stock I think a set of SG compound R888 are on the cards.....I'll just not use them for trackdays.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:15 pm

I've bought some Avon ZZRs in Sprint compound. We will see how they get on :)

David

Postby David » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Done two events on them -- so far, so good.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Damn expensive though !

tuxedoracing
Name: Brian Stevens

Postby tuxedoracing » Mon May 02, 2011 8:10 am

The problem I have is that I cant afford a set of soft compound slicks and I may just go to a soft 1b tire. Kuhmo do the sizes but some "in the know" seem to think they will overheat. I am only out there for 1 minute or less so I cant see this as being true. True my car may be in sports libre but thats my choice to run there yet you have cars with roughly the same weight running 1b tires in the road classes. It might be an issue if for some reason I had to do a re run straight away but there are ways around that.

If I went to 1b tires I can sell one set of my minilites and slicks. There will be more room in the car when towing (all in I take a total of 10 wheels and tires with me) plus the family etc.
Plus I will get grip straight away rather than 1/2 way round the course
Mazda Rotary Westy SEIW.Soon to be sporting new body mods(wings etc) and better brakes so I can stop the damn thing

David

Postby David » Mon May 02, 2011 9:37 am

Brian

Super soft V70As (K12 compund I believe) will last you through even the longest British sprint (say 120s) -- but not much further -- before "going off". They're much used in the Westfield Speed Series.

Son and I did a couple of seasons on the merely "soft" K21 compound, double driving. We found that there was a slight advantage in going second, but that the third run (if either of us got a re-run) was a bit of a handful.

Good soft 1Bs, though, are going to be approaching the price of super-soft slicks anyway....

HTH

Return to “Motorsport”