JPSC Speed Championship

For any motorsport activities
sylva1
Name: Duncan

JPSC Speed Championship

Postby sylva1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi Folks

This is just a toe in the water tester. Would anybody be interested in participating in JPSC Speed Championship in a similar format to the MG Car Club Speed Championship.

Regards,

Duncan.

leemulligan
Name: Lee Mulligan

Re: JPSC Speed Championship

Postby leemulligan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:56 am

100%

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:17 am

Sounds a great idea although I probably wouldn't get to many . Championships mean travel so don't enter whole series these days , just pick where I want to go :roll:

sylva1
Name: Duncan

Postby sylva1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi again.

Sprints and hill climbs take place all over the UK and understandably people will only want to compete in those that are a reasonable travelling distance from where they are based. To cater for this the country could be divided in to appropriate regions such as North, East, South and West. Other options could be car types Leader, Striker, Fury etc and target times at particular venues etc etc.

If anybody has any ideas of what they would like to see please jot something down.

Cheers

Duncan.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:06 pm

Would certainly support such a championship -- though experience from this forum indicates that surprisingly few regulars here are active in club motor sport.

If we thought we could get 100+ registrations it would be worth considering running a championship, otherwise, it would probably be better to tack ourselves on to an existing (well run but undersubscribed) championship like the BARC-SBD Speed......

....or even the Westfield SCC Speed Series............

............I'll get my coat!
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

rscmb7
Name: Roger Slater

Postby rscmb7 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:46 pm

An interesting idea but I suspect many of us have our own "comfort zone" and stick to certain venues. I entered the Lifeline Championship this year which is held exclusively at Curborough and only has 8 rounds, but I'm finding some difficulty in getting to all of them. There is also the question of classes, we can't really have a 1600 Ford crossflow on road tyres in direct competition with a full race turbo-charged Hyabusa engined car on slicks.

If not a championship, why not a one off event, like a track day but with timing? If you are thinking of sprinting, this could be done by piggybacking on an existing event - Caterhams did this at one I attended and got 50 cars, we might not get that many but several organisers would welcome an extra 20 cars. As a suggestion, Shenstone & District Car Club are running their final sprint on September 19th and it is probably not too late to arrange something with them.

David

Postby David » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:24 pm

I've competed in the WSCC Speed Series for six seasons now -- even though they changed the rules in 2007 to prohibit non-Westies competing in Westy classes (something about unfair advantage ;) ). This year they have introduced a system of target times to allow for the fact that they run 6 classes and the average entry at each of the 30 or so events is about ten cars. Obviously, it goes out of the window in the rain (there's a special rule for that circumstance), but otherwise, it works.

Their take on classes (for Westies) is:
A/C - CECs with screens and 1A tyres up to 1800cc: ditto, B/D - over 1800cc,
E - Road legal (Tax, Insurance, MOT) CECs and BECs (1B tyres, aeroscreens) up to 1800cc and 1150cc respectively: F - ditto, over 1800/1150,
G - Non-road-legal CECs and BECs (slick tyres, no screens, wings all allowed) up to 1800cc and 1150cc respectively: H - ditto, over 1800/1150.
Those classes work too.
For simplicity, I'd suggest only classes E & F in road-going for us, and G & H. Why, because, in the Westies, fewer people each year are going in the "screen+1A" classes.

HTH

PaulW7
Name: Paul Willetts

Postby PaulW7 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Not wishing to dampen things, especially as I'm busy getting sorted to start doing some sprint events myself, but any such championship would need to gain an MSA championship /event permit and to do that would need to be organised by an MSA affiliated club. So I think the first task should be for the JPSC to seek MSA affiliation.(I seem to remember this getting mentioned on one of the threads already), the appropriate application information pack is at http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_ ... b_Pack.pdf This would be a good move all round.

MSA licence holders could loose their licences if they were to enter, participate in or organise any competetive event run outside of the MSAs regulations.
Trackdays are OK I believe as not timed (officially).

Next step may be to approach the WSCC or Another MC, as an MSA affiliated club with a potential pool of x regular competitors, to boost their numbers, and perhaps add classes or merge classes to their events. The other club gets a bigger entry list, shared costs and some folk perhaps willing to assist with the organisation or marshalling of the events.

Regards
Paul.

David

Postby David » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:22 am

Clearly, the club needs a motor sport co-ordinator ;)

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:20 pm

I would suggest at least two. We would love to be able to do something like this, but it needs someone to volunteer to run it, and stay with it.

There are 5 of us on the JPSC Committee, and it is difficult finding time to do what needs to be done as it is.

Pete

David wrote:Clearly, the club needs a motor sport co-ordinator ;)

Return to “Motorsport”