Hillclimb & Sprinting

For any motorsport activities
David
Name: David Hussey

Re: Hillclimb & Sprinting

Postby David » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Well -- Rochester MC's event at Lydden today was our swan-song for the season :(

Chris and I shared the Marmelade Striker and were the sole representatives of JPSC! In fact, kit-cars were in short supply (it is October, after all), but Tim Barnett turned out in his X-Flow Caterham and Wayne Crabtree brought along his 2000T Zetec example sporting 300bhp and who-knows-how-many lb.ft (clearly a kindred spirit to Jeff). Other competition included the McKenna and Winstone Porsches (good day to have a roof and air-con) and Jamie Sturges' Radical.

Weather was dry, but the circuit started the day wet -- and there was no wind. Practice was therefore a rather exploratory affair. However, by the time we took our second timed runs (11 a.m.) the circuit was dry enough to count as merely "tricky" (Wayne improved by about 15 seconds over what was probably a moderately terrifying practice run) and serious fun was had by all. Chris and I irritated our classmates by entering the "mod. spec. up to 1400cc" class (for which the Striker is eligible) and not letting anyone else get within 10 seconds of us -- so that was a damp squib* -- but competition across classes was more intense.

Chris and I (unusually, with me leading) managed 6 & 7 FTD (and fastest non-single-seater-racing-car), but were only a smidge ahead of the Radical and two Porsches after a great battle.

Only five-and-a-half months until it all commences again ;)

*Memo to self: stop pot-hunting; it's no fun.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:28 pm

I was planning on being there but the engine/gearbox/car are not in the same location currently.

David

Postby David » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:47 pm

jeffw wrote:I was planning on being there but the engine/gearbox/car are not in the same location currently.

Pity Jeff, but good luck with the latest iteration :)

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:45 pm

David wrote:Only five-and-a-half months until it all commences again

Seems a long time but have a lot to do before next season can not wait already :D

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:25 pm

I guess you will need to test drive your new car first !

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:24 pm

I will do but need to get it first, still at the factory :roll: i am going to tell him i will get it this week as i need to get it over to my friends body shop for a refresh ;) .
i will have to keep an eye open for test days in the closed season, not sure when they are on but Rob has told me when Goodwood is on.

PS
how is the car coming on Jeff?

David

Postby David » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:36 pm

David wrote:Well -- Rochester MC's event at Lydden today was our swan-song for the season :(

Chris and I shared the Marmelade Striker and were the sole representatives of JPSC! In fact, kit-cars were in short supply (it is October, after all), but Tim Barnett turned out in his X-Flow Caterham and Wayne Crabtree brought along his 2000T Zetec example sporting 300bhp and who-knows-how-many lb.ft (clearly a kindred spirit to Jeff). Other competition included the McKenna and Winstone Porsches (good day to have a roof and air-con) and Jamie Sturges' Radical.

Weather was dry, but the circuit started the day wet -- and there was no wind. Practice was therefore a rather exploratory affair. However, by the time we took our second timed runs (11 a.m.) the circuit was dry enough to count as merely "tricky" (Wayne improved by about 15 seconds over what was probably a moderately terrifying practice run) and serious fun was had by all. Chris and I irritated our classmates by entering the "mod. spec. up to 1400cc" class (for which the Striker is eligible) and not letting anyone else get within 10 seconds of us -- so that was a damp squib* -- but competition across classes was more intense.

Chris and I (unusually, with me leading) managed 6 & 7 FTD (and fastest non-single-seater-racing-car), but were only a smidge ahead of the Radical and two Porsches after a great battle.

Video of my fastest (aka least slow) run. Circuit was still a little damp (and particularly treacherous through Pilgrims) -- which is my excuse for pussy-footing and giving myself plenty of room to take evasive action ;)

http://youtu.be/RXTe1mT1h1g

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:07 pm

doesn't look like fun....I was watching shouting 'Apex' at you lol. :shock: :D

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Apex or not , it's 2 sec's quicker than my 2005 best / last time there :mrgreen: The Stylus was on carbs then at 200bhp and R888's mediums.
Your video showed some damp places too :o

David

Postby David » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:52 pm

jeffw wrote:doesn't look like fun....I was watching shouting 'Apex' at you lol. :shock: :D

Bu$$er the apices, Jeff -- I was going where I thought there might be grip and trying to avoid getting towards the outside of the track where there might be no room to correct without ending up on wet grass.

Having said that, though, I was much too late turning into Devil's Elbow the first time :?

Return to “Motorsport”