Hillclimb & Sprinting

For any motorsport activities
JimSpencer
Name: Jim Spencer

Hillclimb & Sprinting

Postby JimSpencer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:16 pm

Thought I would post something as it would be nice to have a few more JPSC's out and about on the speed event scene (especially as when they do come out to play they do pretty good :D )

I'm running a Striker Mk3 in the Nortwest based series (Midland speed championships, Chester & Liverpool speed championship, ANWCC sprint & hillclimbs) as they overlap a fair bit and hence you can do a few series without doing a huge number of events.

Be happy to share info / help out any owners thinking of giving these events a bash, as it can be a bit tricky to get your head around the regulations and where / how to start.

So if you've been thinking (and you should be) "I've got the ideal machine to give club motorsport a bash" but are not sure where to start, post away below!

Strikerxe
Name: John Richards

Re: Hillclimb & Sprinting

Postby Strikerxe » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:24 am

JimSpencer wrote:Thought I would post something as it would be nice to have a few more JPSC's out and about on the speed event scene (especially as when they do come out to play they do pretty good :D )

Be happy to share info / help out any owners thinking of giving these events a bash, as it can be a bit tricky to get your head around the regulations and where / how to start.

So if you've been thinking (and you should be) "I've got the ideal machine to give club motorsport a bash" but are not sure where to start, post away below!

Jim

Well you did volunteer :lol:

A few numpty questions if I may ?

I've got a road going Striker and if I wanted to start sprinting ( its a big if at the moment but I can dream :lol: ) what do I need to start ?

If I decide to give it a go it'll be for the crack as with a 2.0 engine I guess I'd be up against pretty serious bits of kit even in a road going class ( I've decided to get my excuses's in early as I understand the racing drivers book of excuses is a pretty big volume :P )

Do I need to take the ARDS test or is that just for circuits ?

Do I need any sort of race license ?

Do I need fireproof overalls and boots ?

What's the latest helmet regs ?

Can I use my road going car with no mods or do I need to fit things like an accessable battery switch ?

What about roll bar heights ?

What mods are/aren't allowed ? I believe I need a windscreen for some classes ?

Do I need a fire extinguisher , plumbed in or otherwise ?

Is there a National class structure in that the regs are the same across the Country or are there local variations ?

Is there a calander of events printed somewhere ? Motoring News used to print calenders out at the beginning of the year , its such a long time since I've bought that its changed names now :o

I know my best bet is to get along to a few local sprints and ask but it'll be nice to have some background info first ;)

Many thanks

John

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi John

In the absence (so far) of Jim, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

First, the car: You will need to mark the earth lead to the battery yellow (little yellow insulating tape) and tape over the positive battery terminal (any colour but yellow). You will need to marl your ignition switch with "off" and "on". You will need a 1 litre catch tank for the oil breather if it's not already recycled into the induction (old coke bottle will pass scrutineering if it's securely fixed). Road going cars do not need a roll-over bar, but if one is fitted it should conform to the Blue Book -- however, this is never enforced for fear that competitors might simply remove a sub-standard bar leaving an even worse situation.

Helmet: Very useful guide can be found at http://www.wscc.co.uk/managed/SpeedSeries/SS2006/Beginners%20Guide%202006.pdf -- courtesy of the very friendly WSCC. If buying new make sure a BS helmet is fire-retardant. A Snell helmet (which attracts VAT!!) should be SA2005. Price: £85 on (very much) up.

Overalls are compulsory; buy Nomex rather than Proban (which *may* be banned next year) -- this will be your biggest investment (£200+, but look for special offers). Booties and gloves are currently (unaccountably) not required.

Class: don't worry about it. You won't win your first few sprints anyway. Find your feet before thinking about mods.

Incidentally -- I go in the Westfield SCC Speed Series. We're not allowed in the same class as the westies (son Guy and I beat too many of them in 2005/6) but you get invited to some great events, and it's a good craik.

HTH

David

P.S. That Jim Spencer is pretty quick!!
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

JohnEM
Name: John Manser

Postby JohnEM » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:20 pm

I agree with all the above but first join a local club that are involved with speed events, look for your regional association through the MSA web site , http://www.msauk.org then a club affiliated to them and involved with sprints and hillclimbs. Pop along to a meeting and have a chat with people already taking part, I did that with Torbay MC and received a warm welcome plus a copy of the current Blue book of MSA regulations and some valuable pointers. I have driven in 4 hillclimbs with my road going Alfa and hope to be out next year in my Striker. Quite a few Furys Strikers and a Riot down ere in the SW plus we have more classes for road going kit cars so a good scene.
Most of all just do it the and see if you enjoy it, all the improvements and tuning will come latter.
Cheers John.

Strikerxe

Postby Strikerxe » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks for the advice guys .

Some more questions if I may ?

JohnEM wrote:I agree with all the above but first join a local club that are involved with speed events, look for your regional association through the MSA web site , http://www.msauk.org then a club affiliated to them and involved with sprints and hillclimbs.

Had a quick look at that link John but my local region is showing a 2003 calender for this years sprints :o Is there another site with a more up to date fixture list ?

Is sprinting a summer sport or do you compete all year round ?

Have I read it right in assuming I need a MSA competion license which I can obtain by post ?

Not happy with my roll bar situation as its the standard factory item which I'm sure isn't 'legal' even if the scrutineers will turn a blind eye to it . If I decide to give it a go then it looks like I'll have to get a new bar from RAW and weld it on . :( Reading the WSCCC boardroom it appears that Westy's have exactly the same problem .

David wrote: You won't win your first few sprints anyway.

A bit of an understatement there :lol: :!: :!:

John

David

Postby David » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:29 pm

John

Sorry, I forgot the licence: you'll need a minimum of a "Non-Race National B" licence. Providing you have no medical conditions to declare, and are not too old a f*rt, I think you can process the application on-line at www.msauk.org (certainly can for renewals). Costs about £30.

Pretty much any MSA recognised club will do as, in these dire times, many championships are spreading their nets across many clubs. I'm a member of the Westfield SCC (http://www.wscc.co.uk/speedseries.htm -- large championship across entire UK), Shenstone and District SCC (http://www.curborough.co.uk/ -- Midlands, but, as "owners" of Curborough, they get a large number of reciprocal invitations), and Borough 19 MC (http://b19.tjgraphics.co.uk/ -- South East based, friendly, small championship but invitations to Cadwell and Hethel). Each of these is relatively inexpensive (£15 - £25 p.a.) -- you don't need to pay out BARC membership money to go sprinting. I'm sure there will be a suitable club close to you. Another suitable championship could be the BARC-SBD Speed (http://www.barc-speed.org.uk/), for which membership of any MSA affiliated club will do!

Sprinting an open car in freezing rain is not most people's cuppa -- the season is essentially mid-March to end-October. Winter is for upgrades!

HTH

David

sylva1
Name: Duncan

Postby sylva1 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:16 am

John

Just a short note I have a Leader that I sprinted for many years with varying degrees of success in the South East through being a member of Borough 19 MC. They are a very efficiently run club and through like minded associations in the South East have a very active calendar. I sprinted at Hethel, North Weald, Debden, Wethersfield, Lyden, Goodwood and Brands Hatch. Through contacts in the club I could have gone much further than that. Look on the MSA website to see your local clubs and then investigate what is their primary interest in motor sport ie sprinting, hill climbing, racing etc.

With regard to the roll bar mine was the standard Leader hoop with back stays and diagonal but I felt that it was too low if I rolled so I had an additional hoop welded behind my head to provide the clearance, thankfully not required! I would also find a tame motor sport organisation to help with things like this (Bill Richards Racing, Ashford, Kent,beautiful welding).

When you go to your first meet you will find that all competitors are a friendly helpful bunch who if you have a problem will come to you aid.

All I can say is get out there and have some fun!

Regards

Duncan.

JohnEM
Name: John Manser

Postby JohnEM » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:05 pm

John
The rollover bar is a interesting one, if you enter as a roadgoing Kit car then the fact is that you have an MOT and Car Tax, difficult for the MSA to say you can't compete, as it is road legal. however go into the modified classes where you can use slicks then the MSA can specify what they like such as Cut off switches and full roll cage.
Licence a "non race national B" is what you need, they run from 1st Jan - 31st Dec so don't apply yet! you will need a photo though, £36 I recall, to get a national A you need six signatures from clerks of courses when you have competed and behaved!, however I know a lot of people don't bother to upgrade.
Have fun JohnEM.

David

Postby David » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 pm

JohnEM wrote:John
The rollover bar is a interesting one, if you enter as a roadgoing Kit car then the fact is that you have an MOT and Car Tax, difficult for the MSA to say you can't compete, as it is road legal.

I think this is more about what the driver thinks is safe -- as I said earlier, you don't need a roll-over bar at all to pass scrute in order to sprint (or hill-climb) a road legal car. Would you take the risk? Personally, I quite like life.

JohnEM wrote: however I know a lot of people don't bother to upgrade.

Agree. Had a "non-race nat B" since 2004, and have never bothered to collect a signature. The only speed event I can call to mind which requires an "A" licence is the Brighton Speed Trial.

JohnEM wrote: Have fun.

Again, I agree with John. Getting out there to try it, even if uncompetitive (as you almost certainly will be at your first few events) is the important thing :D

Strikerxe

Postby Strikerxe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:45 pm

Cheers for the input guys . :D

Looks like its possible to use my present car as is if I don't mind losing my head in an accident . I'll price up a taller roll bar from RAW sometime unless he's sold the buisiness on by then . Cutting the old one off and welding a new one on shouldn't be a problem .

First step though will be to go and watch some local sprints and see what the score is .

One more quick question if I may ? :) What is the average sort of cost for the entrance fee for a sprint ?

John

Return to “Motorsport”