Blyton Sprint 9+10 July 2016

For any motorsport activities
David
Name: David Hussey

Blyton Sprint 9+10 July 2016

Postby David » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:52 pm

Organised by the Westfield Sports Car Club -- other marques invited, but had to run in separate classes from the Westies competing in their own championship.

"Interesting" weather, varying from the occasional deluge (Saturday's event had to be stopped for 30 minutes) to bright sunshine -- so every run brought a new challenge.

JPSC honours were upheld by Jeff Wiltshire, Leon Spinks, Chris and me.

They could not find any other vehicle to compete on level terms with Jeff's mighty Phoenix, so (as ever) he was in a class of his own. Despite not being allowed to run his new slicks (a log book problem), Jeff won his class on both days -- finishing as fastest JPSC of the weekend with a time of 69.08s.

Leon, Chris and I had a larger class with which to contend -- three Caterham 1600s and two (non-championship) Westies on the Saturday, reducing to two Caterhams on the Sunday.
I am pleased to report that the JPSCs acquitted themselves well, with the fastest times of the weekend coming from Chris (70.20s) me (71.23s) and Leon (74.59s). Fastest non-JPSC was the Caterham of Daniel Hollis (74.74s).
In fairness it should be said that "Marmelade" (our Striker), whilst admittedly the heaviest, was also by far the most technically advanced car in the <1700cc class.
It is also worth saying that the JPSCs did not win every challenge -- in the only really wet timed run, Richard Abrahams (Caterham) headed the list with a 90.87s time (me 91.44s, Leon 95.90s) whilst Chris, and even Jeff, failed to keep on the black stuff.

Footnote: JPSC stalwart Simon Boulter took 2nd (Saturday) and third (Sunday) places in a crowded "racing cars under 1100cc" class in his OMS.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

AdamR
Name: Adam Read

Re: Blyton Sprint 9+10 July 2016

Postby AdamR » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Didn't realise I walked past you guys so many times - in fact looking at the numbers (I was 752) we'd have queued up almost next to each other I think - I'd have come and said hello otherwise.

The weather was indeed very varied on Saturday, which made it much fun for P2 :D Still managed an 85.something despite a seriously 'odd' line into the last corner which cost a few seconds!

I was there sharing a Westy, double driving for the owner (me going first) and ended up with a 68.45 on Saturday. This was in 2D, Westfield class B2, so I think that effectively makes it 2F (2 litre, road going, 1B tyres)?

Now I know there's a few of you chaps who compete fairly regularly I'll have a look at the entry list more closely next time!

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi Adam

I also didn't recognise your name, otherwise I also would have said hello.

I have to say that a 68 second lap on the new 1b tyres is pretty impressive. Were you on Toyos?

David
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

AdamR
Name: Adam Read

Postby AdamR » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:17 am

Next time... :) We plan to do Anglesey in October now, had such a good day this time.

Thanks - it seemed quick compared with other times on the day, but I don't think it was a great lap looking back at the video! The car is on R888s (not R888R), yes. Word has it that the ZZS might be quicker?

Here's the vid anyway, me on the left and the car's owner on the right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ivJM4ZSlPw

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:17 pm

David, there was a Riot there (136) which went faster than I did. I had one decent run all weekend and bottle out a bit on Point Froid so ended up 2 secs slower than the MDA meeting.

Return to “Motorsport”