Debden Sprint October 2015

For any motorsport activities
David
Name: David Hussey

Re: Debden Sprint October 2015

Postby David » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:18 pm

I have to admit that I find it seriously objectionable that a set of (apparently very) arrogant chappies with (apparently absolutely) no understanding of grass roots motorsport have decided (apparently completely arbitrarily) that, if I wish to compete in MSA regulated club motorsport next year I need a new set of tyres (very probably) and I need to have my chassis cut and welded. The likely cost of both will be well over £1000, and the resulting car will be heavier, slower, and less fun to drive.

Like you, Jeff, I see a major opportunity for the likes of Javelin.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:27 pm

They are keeping you safe from yourself and saving the planet.

David

Postby David » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Jeff

I appreciate that you are commenting en plaisantant, but:

I think I'm a relatively grown-up boy and can take my own decisions on my safety (I did, after all, fit a cage when no ROPS at all was mandated by the "caring" MSA!!).

And, I do about 200 competition miles per year, the tyre change is going to be equivalent to about one candle extra at dinner!

IMHO, we are dealing with a shower of auto-erotics!

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:40 pm

I feel educated now that I've looked up en plaisantant.

What will be interesting is how they actually apply these rules. It is perfectly reasonable for a club like WSCC to say that any 1B tyre from the last 3 years is acceptable. Given the number of kitcars in Modprod or Sportslibre which don't meet the current ROPS standards for those classes I doubt we will see much push back on that either....

However being law abiding MSA License holders both you and I will ensure our vehicles meet the regs, after some more moaning ;)

David

Postby David » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Lots more . . . . . . . !

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:07 pm

:) :lol:

Taff Striker
Name: Richard Jones

Postby Taff Striker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:10 pm

May I just add my moan as well please :D

At the start of the year I went and bought two new ZZR's for the rear in the hope of some improved grip off the line and ergo better times.
Roll on a few weeks to the first event at an extremely wet and foggy Anglesey where conditions got the better of me which resulted in altercation with the pit wall :oops:

Needless to say a new frame was needed but I was lucky enough to buy an abandoned build with included bodywork and various other bits.

In an effort to get legal I chopped the original rear hoop off and purchased new tubework which give the required clearance above the helmet and also tie in with the front "cage" I already have

Trouble is that this was a few months ago and is , as you may have guessed, 38mm in diameter.

So not only will I not be able to use my new tyres, my new rear hoop is out of spec and, having read Jeff's earlier post, so it seems is my front "cage" :?

Beginning to wonder whether its' worth it to be honest. Have'nt bought a Hans yet either :lol:

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:10 pm

You don't need FHR (yet) in roadgoing as you could run a inertia belt. I recommend you do but you don't have to.

You will need to comply with K1 or K2 in the Blue Book so the rear hoop will need to be 46mm (or whatever it is) but the rest can remain at 38mm.

Return to “Motorsport”