EELMOOR MOD driver training track 1mile fig 8

For any motorsport activities
RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

EELMOOR MOD driver training track 1mile fig 8

Postby RobMsport » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:20 am

For the first time ever the course was reversed ie. started at the old finish line , left into the crossover then right onto the old return straight up to the hairpin turning right (exiting facing a rather large line of 2feet trunk trees on the edge of the tarmac) then back to go right into the crossover again , turning sharp left onto the old starting straight to finish .
I found it tricky to find the braking points for the crossover , both directions , then exiting at the hairpin without the old 100yards or so run off was intimidating (trees have that effect on me)
Result -- not mad keen on the course and I only managed 2nd in class against the two Metro 6R4's on slicks . Winning time was 54.33secs , mine 54.8secs which was about 0.6sec off my all time best at Eelmoor in 2005 . The rub was that I'd beaten this guy for the last ten seasons :oops:
Consolation though ---- awarded ' best FDMC member ' for 6th overall (13 classes)
FTD Paul Kenny in a SKYLINER at a smidgen over 50 secs :shock: An absolute animal with hundreds of bhp plus stunning grip everywhere :o

Still not sorted my steering wheel shake under heavy braking , having gone through wheel balance , disc possible warping and wheel bearings , to no avail . Didn't worry me too much at Goodwood because hardly use the brakes hard until pulling up to return passed the marshal into the paddock BUT at Eelmoor you hit them very hard at least three times so the effect is bloody aweful --- a winter search aye :roll:

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: EELMOOR MOD driver training track 1mile fig 8

Postby adithorp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Almost every "warped disc" we come across in the workshop is actually either rust on the hub face, or grit between the hub flange and disc, or on very rare occation a bur on the edge of the hub face (caused when removing the old disc).

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:35 pm

adithorp wrote:Almost every "warped disc" we come across in the workshop is actually either rust on the hub face, or grit between the hub flange and disc, or on very rare occation a bur on the edge of the hub face (caused when removing the old disc).

You won't get a job in my local Peugeot dealership with an attitude like that. Its hardly going to cost him anything. Clearly new pads and disks every time!

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:28 am

Nah... Pads, discs, hubs, bearings... Just for starters.

I'd love to hear the conversation at the dealer reception desk when he tried to book it in though.

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:08 am

adithorp wrote:Nah... Pads, discs, hubs, bearings... Just for starters.

I'd love to hear the conversation at the dealer reception desk when he tried to book it in though.

Well , if the ' he ' you're refering to is me then that will never happen --- it's never been near a ' garage ' nor ever will :shock: It's only occured since my 2013 June Goodwood event --- never ever before that , so I guess it's going to be something simple when I find it , having checked all the obvious causes :roll:

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:33 pm

I just may have the answer but there's no way to be sure until it gets on track again . I found one of the four pistons of the brake caliper very tight , only moving after using wood pieces to jam the other three pistons then pumping the pedal . Cleaned all four piston sides with brake cleaner then extended and pushed back all four several times . Hopefully once I've done the passenger side it'll be sorted but I'll check the inboard wishbone rodends as well.

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Sorry Rob, I didn't for a minute think you'd be going to the dealer; Just imagining the "What model is it?" conversation and the resultant blank expresion.

A sticking piston wouldn't normally cause vibration... but it's not unknown.

It only need the tinyest bit of rust or grit between disc and hub to cause it so I'd be double checking there. More than once I've cleaned one onlyto have a bit more crap fall in while refitting. I've even seen it caused by someone putting excessive or uneven amount of copperslip on the hub face before fitting the disc.

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:30 pm

adithorp wrote:Sorry Rob, I didn't for a minute think you'd be going to the dealer; Just imagining the "What model is it?" conversation and the resultant blank expresion.

A sticking piston wouldn't normally cause vibration... but it's not unknown. It doesn't vibrate Adi ' --- as you hit the brakes hard the steering wheel snatches left & right , sending the front end left/right . No vibration at all at high speed or just a touch of brakes at high speed either --- only full on hard braking to a stop braking . The disc's haven't been off the hubs for 3 years so no chance of any dirt/rust , plus the car's just too clean suspension wise to get rust at all , it gets cleaned before events and afterwards too. I've already checked disc lateral movement within the caliper --- now't , wheels re-balanced plus wheel bearings spot on.

It only need the tinyest bit of rust or grit between disc and hub to cause it so I'd be double checking there. More than once I've cleaned one onlyto have a bit more crap fall in while refitting. I've even seen it caused by someone putting excessive or uneven amount of copperslip on the hub face before fitting the disc.

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:23 pm

adithorp wrote:Sorry Rob, I didn't for a minute think you'd be going to the dealer; Just imagining the "What model is it?" conversation and the resultant blank expresion.

A sticking piston wouldn't normally cause vibration... but it's not unknown.

Adi , you've jogged my tiny brain into action this morning after mentioning disc/hub faces with copperslip etc --- my discs have been there without issue for too long for it to be that -- however , it did make me check the wheel bolting face plus the hub face itself . At the beginning of this season I experimented with some very thin spacers and located them using the old ' blue ' to keep them in place while bolting up. Removed them after testing as there was no advantage then cleaned off the bolting faces before bolting on the wheels again (or so I thought) Today after freeing up the passenger side caliper pistons , I noticed slightly black marks against the red hub face so tried brake cleaner but thatt didn't shift it. Having slid my finger across the marks I could barely feel any rise at all but there was definitely a thou or so there. I used a fine bladed wall paper scraper at a shallow angle and that moved a small amount of black rubbery gunge in a few places . Could this be it :?: but I find it hard to believe as it was so very thin , almost nothing
Having done the pistons plus this thin gunge , I'll never know which . No way to know if it's sorted at all anyway till on track again and Eelmoor was my last event in 2013 :?

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes, that could well be it Rob....discs are ground to parts of a thou on large discs (360mm) and you can feel the slightest run out.

Return to “Motorsport”