Llandow 27 July

For any motorsport activities
Taff Striker
Name: Richard Jones

Llandow 27 July

Postby Taff Striker » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Entered for next weekend's sprint at Llandow with a few more JP creations to keep me company in 2A - main competition being a certain Mr John Loudon.
Mike Smith and Paul Baker double driving a Striker and John Bradshaw also in a Striker. Ian Parr will be contesting 3D in his Riot.
Looking forward to some dry and warm tarmac 8-)

Competed at a 2 day hilclimb on the Epynt military ranges a few weeks ago where a class win on the Saturday was followed by a DNF on Sunday. An overly tightly built diff and damp conditions lead to a lot of tail happy action wherein I dropped it off the tarmac on the first run and put a crack in the sump. You can see the drop off the edge in the pic :shock: :roll: :lol: Diff now rebuilt to "Caterham" settings so see how she behaves Saturday :D

Last edited by Taff Striker on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Name: David Hussey

Re: Llandow 27 July

Postby David » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi Rich

Beating either John would be a fair feather in the cap, and Mike is pretty fast -- so you're not making things easy for yourself.

However, they all can be beaten*, so give it a go . . .

. . . and, good luck.

* managed to beat JL by a quarter of a second at Blyton last Saturday :) -- but he got his own back by a similar margin on the Sunday :(
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

Taff Striker

Postby Taff Striker » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:19 pm

No pretention of beating either David - if I can get somewhere near I'll be quite happy :)

I'm still learning a whole lot about car set up at the moment - each event doubles as test session :lol:

Managed to get within 13 seconds of JL and 5 seconds of Mike Smith at Pembrey back at the beginning of May, and those were on the last run where times were improving as the day went on. So it's getting better. Slowly 8-)

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:26 pm

I was going to enter this but I've had something else booked in instead...

David

Postby David » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:00 pm

We'll need a report, Rich . . . . . ;)

Taff Striker

Postby Taff Striker » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Everyone turned up to a warm and sunny morning but all the talk was of the impending thunderstorms due sometime after lunch.
Proceedings got under way promptly at 10 and, with a combination of a large entry and the forecast rain, competitors were asked not to dawdle at he start so that the runs progressed quickly.

Both practice runs were run in the warm and dry and a decision was made to have the first timed run before lunch in case it came to rain. As it turned out there was a few spits and spots of rain for some of the runners during the second timed run after lunch but nothing too detrimental.

So to the runners and riders:

I managed to complete the first run with a time of just under 89s - still oversteering in some places but not half as bad as last time so the diff rebuild has helped. A big flatspot in the map is also now making itself evident as I'm managing to push harder so it's off for another mapping session at a different dyno shop next month.
Unfortunately the engine wouldn't start for the second run which was traced to a non-functioning injection pump. Not carrying a spare this meant end of play for me :roll:

Times for the other protagonists in are:
Mike Smith 83.22 82.39 81.57 81.85
Paul Barker 84.04 81.13 81.24 81.19
John Bradshaw 84.07 81.10 80.83 80.20
John Loudon 80.83 79.02 78.45 78.31

My intention was to go to the 2 day event on Anglesey at the end of August but seeing as I can't get round Llandow quickly yet then I'm better off spending the money on a days testing there at the beginning of September- more time in the car and a chance to try different set-ups :D

David

Postby David » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:38 pm

Bad luck with the reliability, Rich.

Sounds like you had a good day overall, though. Keep at it!

Return to “Motorsport”