Hethel 5th May

For any motorsport activities
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Hethel 5th May

Postby jeffw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Never been before and I see some of the normal suspects are out and about (Simon and David). What is a good time round the Sprint course and is there anything I should know before driving the track?

David
Name: David Hussey

Re: Hethel 5th May

Postby David » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Jeff

The WSCC Speed Series target time for Hethel (Peter Goulding's Class) is 80.79s

I've never been faster than 84.69s in the Westie 1600. Pete did 81.04s last year.

It's very much a power circuit. From the start you wind through a couple of fast curves to a wide hairpin right. The Senna Curves might challenge at F1 speeds, but in our cars they're flat (without even being a white knuckle ride). Brake like hell for an awkward (fast in, slow out) right/left/right chicane. Mansell straight is exactly that; wide and arrow straight. We people with small engines make a cup of tea whilst waiting the age it takes for the braking point to arrive. Another hard brake; simple r/l/r chicane; accelerate briefly before braking again; right hand hairpin; blast for the line.

Apart from the fact that the place is pretty featureless (Where was that braking point? Ooops!), it's not very challenging. Getting a good exit from the first hairpin and the first chicane is important. Being brave enough to flick fast into the first chicane and then brake facing a solid wall is an art I haven't yet mastered.

HTH

David
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:23 pm

David you make it sound so easy :) not at home to look at my times but I am sure someones son did very well last year in a little striker ;)
As you said not the most exciting track but very important to get the first corner right. I made the mistake of walking the track last year and should have come in at the first chicane.
True test for me this time as I see Mr beesley is out. can i make my racing excuses now, not my favorite track and found it very slippy in the morning :lol: :lol: :lol:

David

Postby David » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Simon

In your first season with the car, I think honour will be satisfied if you come in ahead of Mr. Chaplin ;)

David

Postby David » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Oh, and Simon (in the old über-Striker) did 84.33s. Chris did 82.72s (not bad for the heaviest bloke with the smallest engine).

For Simon, Tony B did 76.19s.

And, if you really want a forced induction kit-car reference, Jeff, Duncan Cowper did 76.08s in the TurboNutterBusa Dax Rush :o

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:03 pm

So mid to low 80s is on the money.....

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Sat in my hotel with nothing else to do and have just found all of that information as well david (beat me to it).

Very true David, will be happy with a comparable time to Steve and give me something to work on for next year.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:55 pm

So Duncan plus 6 sec would be a good result then. It will be nice to catch up David....I've had to put up with Simon and Rob so far this season ;)

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:35 pm

more to come Jeff :lol: :lol: :lol:

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Wed May 01, 2013 5:46 pm

I have a question, David I see that Chris in in class C13 where last year he was in C12, has there been some special development on the car to move it up a class?

Return to “Motorsport”