Gearbox woes

For any motorsport activities
RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Re: Gearbox woes

Postby RobMsport » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Got back from Brian Hill's having enjoyed all his insults etc , so wasn't disappointed :lol: Brilliant service from Chris today while Brian dealt with what Chris was doing before I rudely interupted him. Really though , they were very busy but having absorbed the threats of £1000 for labour plus parts ---- I disappeared for lunch while Chris stripped and rebuilt the box . He reckons(Brian)it's the quickshift that does the damage to those little tabs (1.5mm thick) around the edge of the rings. Just a half inch wide and very thin bit of bronze to support the steel dog just gets snapped out easily with fast down changes. I'll keep the quickshift but will be more careful in future :roll:
He actually does have a long term solution for that problem BUT it couldn't be done today quickly as the cones need turning on a lathe then his own design rings with thicker tab can be fitted ;) Watch this space :!:

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Steve mentioned you were visiting when I rang him after lunch.

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:52 am

jeffw wrote:Steve mentioned you were visiting when I rang him after lunch.

Yes , and your name came up too , having seen the re-design of one of your gearbox gears :o I really like his new ' ring ' design . If left there for an unspecified time , he could have strengthened my box with those rings but obviously with the cones needing turning , time wasn't on my side so I'll just need to be less fast on the down changes . Brian's adament my quickshift is the primary cause for the broken tabs on the rings :roll:

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:23 am

Yes, Chris has said the same to me. I'm starting to thing I need something like a Quaife 57G or a sequential 60G and repairing the BGH E8 is just false economy in the long run. Mine is putting oil out through the breather and needs dropping to fix that and it has only been in the car a few meetings since being repaired tail end of last year.

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:01 am

jeffw wrote:Yes, Chris has said the same to me. I'm starting to thing I need something like a Quaife 57G or a sequential 60G and repairing the BGH E8 is just false economy in the long run. Mine is putting oil out through the breather and needs dropping to fix that and it has only been in the car a few meetings since being repaired tail end of last year.

Well , if Brian can't build the T9 to take your 300bhp at the wheels , I'd say your next step would be ELITE's 2nd stage up box from the 200 cassette box. Not sure that it can be extracted from the prop end though like their 200 which would be very useful.
Regarding your BGH box throwing oil ---- couldn't it be sorted by connecting pipe to the breather but with a return :?: Most rally cars do that.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:20 am

Yes....a breather pipe would solve the issue. However I think the box has been damaged by the lack of oil (which I didn't notice till after Abbeville). Fitting a breather will require dropping the box....I wonder why there wasn't one on there already. The Elite stuff is silly money and I'd need the IL300 with the oil pump/spray bar etc....soon adds up. A good H pattern dog box like the 57G maybe the answer.

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm

what about the sadvic box (is that the correct spelling?)

I think you have developed sequential envy Jeff :lol: :lol: :lol:

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:13 pm

They are all £6K+ and yes, as you say, expensive gearbox envy had set in. If we presume, for the moment, than no type 9 derivatives will cope with the eventual power from the Supercharged Zetec (370-380) then we are left with the Cossie T5, Quaife 56/57G H pattern box or the various high power sequentials in that order of price. A 57G would replace the existing box without requiring a new prop and will take 375BHP in Dog Box form, problem is it is £4.5K

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 pm

would the T5 be up to it? I think you have hit the limit with T9 as even a dogbox in them only seems to be rated for 270? All of a sudden your are into big bucks :cry: :cry: not good for us.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Jeff

60G was silly money, and even sillier after you add the Geartronics shift system -- but (despite the weight penalty) I'd never go back to an H-pattern.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

Return to “Motorsport”