Gearbox woes

For any motorsport activities
RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Gearbox woes

Postby RobMsport » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:40 am

Goodwood BRMC Sprint on 27th April but not certain I'll be there , although I have entered. Yesterday testing at Goodwood was it's first running since last September and after just 6 laps it jammed in 5th --- got it free with both hands , clutch in , ok in every gear so did another lap then it jammed in 4th going into the dip at St Mary's ---- so had to watch David fly by in his very pretty J15 which incidently was going very well indeed and got many admirers OR at least I think it was the car (one young lady insisted he stay in the car while she took a snap :P )
Many thanks Simon for offering to come down and helping both of us :) I have quite a lot on between now and the 27th April , not motorsport wise and not looking forward to an engine out/in again to sort the box.

David
Name: David Hussey

Re: Gearbox woes

Postby David » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:54 am

Bad luck, Rob. Start of the season is exactly the inopportune time for mechanical failures :(

Looking forward to seeing David's J15 go at Lydden on Saturday (if I get there!!*) -- won't be able to watch from the sidelines, though, as we run within three of each other. I'll just try not to let him catch me up :?

* Took my air bottle to be filled yesterday. Turns out it's two years and seven months old. "More than my job's worth to fill a bottle over two and a half years old; got to be tested". Turns out that the test is £40, or you can have express service for £60. I'll see how fast "express" really is.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 pm

David wrote:Bad luck, Rob. Start of the season is exactly the inopportune time for mechanical failures :(

Looking forward to seeing David's J15 go at Lydden on Saturday (if I get there!!*) -- won't be able to watch from the sidelines, though, as we run within three of each other. I'll just try not to let him catch me up :?

* Took my air bottle to be filled yesterday. Turns out it's two years and seven months old. "More than my job's worth to fill a bottle over two and a half years old; got to be tested". Turns out that the test is £40, or you can have express service for £60. I'll see how fast "express" really is.

What's the air bottle ------ gearchange or did you mean extinguisher :?:

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:50 pm

gearchange....

I was going to do Lydden but someone decided to make is a WSCC round so there are no places left.

Sorry to hear of your problems Rob, fingers crossed for a quick solution.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Yup, gearchange . . . .

WSCC have only 5 entries, Jeff -- I blame the British Sprint crowd for the lack of space. And we'll have to put up with their faffing :(
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Well enjoy as I can't get an entry.... :D

deecee
Name: David Cockburn

Postby deecee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Rob, do hope you can get your box sorted out in time for the 27th. When I sailed passed you I did wonder if you had slowed to let me through to play follow-my-leader. Let us know how you get on. If I can be of assistance give me a shout.
Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:41 pm

deecee wrote:Rob, do hope you can get your box sorted out in time for the 27th. When I sailed passed you I did wonder if you had slowed to let me through to play follow-my-leader. Let us know how you get on. If I can be of assistance give me a shout.

Thanks David , I won't get to look at it until after this next weekend so am hoping it's a partially slid out roll pin from the selector . My tunnel cover doesn't remove right up to the bulkhead so still may not be able to see or deal with , unless the engine's out. If the pin's intact then it's likely to be baulk rings and that's engine out anyway so there's no chance of the 27th April if that's the case. Too much else going on this month -- sods law :(

Dave Spencer
Name: David Spencer

Postby Dave Spencer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:34 pm

David wrote:Yup, gearchange . . . .

WSCC have only 5 entries, Jeff -- I blame the British Sprint crowd for the lack of space. And we'll have to put up with their faffing :(

I wonder when the British Sprint crowd are going to wake up. Don't they realise just how infuriating it is to see them faff through their top 12 run off, in the same amount of time it takes to get through the rest of the event!

And while I am on a roll, for gods sake get someone to commentate on the event so we know what's going on!

I really enjoy driving the circuits, but they need to restructure the discipline. People are not buying big engined single seaters. Basically only two cars are capable of winning outright at present, and the time difference between the remaining cars is immense. Sprinting will always be the poor relation to Hillclimbing. Which is a shame? Maybe the slow demise of big single seaters in Hillclimbing will see the cars turn up at sprints, but I doubt it!

Not sure where all that came from, but anyway. :D

Sorry to hear about your gearbox issues! :(

Regards,

David.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:30 am

Obviously something you feel strongly about David. I'm a little peeved that a round of my championship has been over subscribed because of the WSCC/British sprint but its my own fault really for not getting an entry in. Mind you who would have thought Lydden would be full....what next, North Weald !

Return to “Motorsport”