New Striker members

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
paul2s
Name: Paul Steer

New Striker members

Postby paul2s » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi,

We ( my son and I ) have just bought a Striker and are looking forward to chatting with you guys. The idea is to do a few track days as soon as the weather improves. We are new to kit cars and
have a lot to learn! The car is a Toyota 1600 20v and we are currently making a list of things we need to do before we track day it. Any advice would be very welcome

Cheers Paul & Will

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Re: New Striker members

Postby dopdog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Good choice of car and engine. lets see some pictures then :D . I ran one for years and did many track days in it.

paul2s

Postby paul2s » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks Dopdog, we very nearly went for an aeoscreen Fury fireblade... they are great looking cars, but decided that perhaps a BEC was a bit radical for beginners .We went for our 1st drive
yesterday, and had "a bit of trouble" finding the brake pedal without catching the juice pedal at the same time, a bit hairy at times!! Also the seat is pretty far back, so we need to put some extra
seat backs in ( which is what Martin at Raw suggested ) Also the brakes are not as sharp as I would like. So we must set it up to suit us before we really start to see what it can do. But very happy with
the car the steering is fantastic Cheers Paul

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:44 pm

What did you have on your feet? It's pretty universally accepted you need to wear very narrow shoes to drive a kit. Either proper race boots (look stupid once you get out of the car IMHO) or something along the lines of Puma Speed Cats.

Don't worry you'll soon get the hang of it. Just take care until you do. Slippery roads, cold tyres and a light rear drive car can get hairy very quick.

Only mistake you've made so far is NOT going for a BEC, but the 1.6 Toyota is a great engine.

paul2s

Postby paul2s » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:55 am

Cheers Adrian , very very nearly bought a Fury Fireblade areoscreen, but my son Will 17
Has only driven his mums Honda Jazz I thought that this was a better option for him.
I was wearing size 7 trainers and had to really think to hit only the brake. On the test drive
In the pouring rain, I hit the brake & throttle pedals about 4 times, so did not think it was
Wise to hammer it if I was not confident I could stop! I spoke to Martin at Raw and he advised
On how to adjust the pedals to space them out a bit more. My mate has built a GBS Zero and
Had similar problems He has arranged the pedals so that the brake sits higher than the throttle
Which works well. Until I can fix this, the brakes ( very weak) and the seating I will drive very carefully!!

Cheers Paul

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 am

the 4age 20v is bullet proof, i revved the nuts off mine all the way to 8000 for many a day. I had the JK composit seats in mine and also had to move the seat forward. I made 2 side braces and one main one for the rear, will see if i have some pictures for you.

Race boots all the way

philfingers
Name: Phil of course

Postby philfingers » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Paul, welcome!
Hood in Wakefield http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... tid=178310
I had similar problem with my early striker and spun it in th wet once when I hit the throttle and brake at the same time. You'll get used to it. Was 21 when i had my first striker but insurance shouldn't be too much of an issue with your son, I hope anyway!
Mine cost £138 TPF&T back in 1994 when i was 21, and my 1.2 nova was £400 TPF&T at the time. Gives you an idea!
Phil
STM Phoenix R1 IRS Quaiffe reverse & LSD
Sold- Sylva Striker 1660 XF, 40s live axle
Sold- Sylva Phoenix- 1300 XF, 234, 40s live axle.
205 mi16 tarmac rally car, Audi A6 2.7 TDi S-line and a few motorbikes

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Ordinary trainers tend to be a problem as the sole is wider than the shoe. I can't drive my Fury in them (or my work boots) without the same problem you had.
Are the brakes weak or are you just not used to having no servo assistance? That does take a bit of getting used to.

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Drive barefoot while you get used to things.

Just don't leave your shoes at home or at the petrol station, like I did.

Matt

paul2s

Postby paul2s » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 am

Thank you for the great welcome! We got the car home Sunday night and I have only driven it once since
Then! Work and the weather was against me. The car drove very well, but I did not really push it because
Of the brakes, Cheers Adi ,I have driven unservoed cars before in the distant past, and am aware that extra pressure is required, but it really took some stopping, and I literally had to stand on the pedal to get it to lock up. I will take out the pads and rough them up as advised by Martin at Raw…. Then see what we have Saturday will also have a
Look at the pedal spacings. And I will get some racing boots as you all advised. Cheers for the details on the hood Phil… I rang the guy and he said he was waiting for the hood to be collected, but would ring if it fell through….. Alas no call. The Insurance guy just laughed when I tried to insure Will min age 25 poor lad !! Dopdog any advice /pics re seats would be great, do you still have the striker ? Didn’t I see it for sale a while ago (so much research done when looking for one!) Just can’t wait to get out and drive again as soon as the roads have dried I’ll be off !?? ( If you know what I mean )

Cheers Paul

Return to “Introductions”