Hello again!!

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
Lee Champion
Name: Lee Champion

Hello again!!

Postby Lee Champion » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Well, it's been a long time.... I unfortunatly have not logged in for over a year now as my last recollection was total login failure and not accepting any passwords etc. and I assumed a glitch with the website, got the hump like I do and went AWOL. Well, thanks to a PM arriving in my inbox poking me into action I tried logging in with a new password and hey presto!

I still have the R1 Phoenix, although I am planning to do a nut and bolt rebuild this autumn as it is 10 years old now and I think it is due some TLC.... It is still in rude health though, this year I have been using it for sprints and a few run outs into the country. I did OK considering I was just testing the water with a handful of events, using 2 year old tyres which have been to Monte Carelo and back and lived outside in the snow last winter. Highlight was winning the handicap class of the Brighton Speed Trials, 13.4 1/4 mile along Madeira Drive seafront on those rock hard 888's!!!! That was quicker than a Ferrari F40 and a Noble did it..... :lol:

I see Jeff in his Phoenix at some of the Sprints and am planning to accompany Adrian in his R1 Fury on a 10 day mountain tour this summer around Europe, which is always fun.
My biggest problem this year is that my R1 is now classed in the big boys class in the sprints where Jeff is with his 300+ bhp, Andy Bates rekons my car puts out 140bhp at the fly, 120 at the wheels so I may retire the Phoenix from Sprints before the rebuild commences. Its bloody quick even so, but I'd have no chance on the bigger sprints. I have discussed with him the possibility of re-engineering the car this winter with an '08 CBR1000 RR, 180 at the fly and 160 at the wheels and selling my current R1 engine and loom etc. to part fund it. Apparently the performance jump is quite startling as those engines are awesome and there is no weight gain over what I have. We will see, the game has moved on but funds will dictate... But once I have my nice blasted and powdercoated chassis sitting there it might be rude not to stick a few more BHP under the bonnet.

So thats what I have been doing over the last year or two, hopefully will see you guys out and about this year sometime.

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Hello again!!

Postby jeffw » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03 pm

Welcome Lee lol

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:10 pm

remember not just power going round the corners fast helps

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:18 pm

The only problem with those newer engines is that you will probably have to cut an ugly hole in your bonnet as they have complicated secondary injection systems that you need to retain if you want all the power.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:42 am

no reason he couldn't turbo what he has....

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Good to see you're working up an appetite to compete :P and I've missed your enthusiastic ' chatter ' via phone and text lately so look forward to more as you go through this rebuild later in 2013 :lol:

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:31 pm

Christ, who let him in? This place is going to the dogs! ;)

We'll have to see if we can force the engine change this June. I might get around to mine before we go... but I doubt it.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Not the BSB/World Superbike Yamaha engine of Legend Adi :)

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Yeah. Even I'm starting to think it's a figment of my imagination.

I was all set to bring it into work 2 months ago when we were a bit on the quiet side and get it done. As soon as I opened my mouth the phone started ringing and the work coming in. Still the Febbruary "I've got christmas credit card bills to pay" slump is approaching, so I'll aimto do it then.

Return to “Introductions”