Hello from me

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
steppers
Name: daryl steptoe

Hello from me

Postby steppers » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:57 pm

Well its a big hello from me, Steppers living in Kettering,

i've got a sylva star just passed its mot on sat.
At the moment its got the viva 1256 engine which is pretty rubbish, yep need more power. will try to post some pics soon, so hello anyway.

MaRkStar
Name: Mark Rapley

Re: Hello from me

Postby MaRkStar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:59 am

Hi Steppers

Good news on the MOT! Its grand to have another Star in the fold, getting rather rare these days.

I've got to get some welding done on mine for the MOT, the front bracket that supports the bonnet has broken away. . . again. Have you had any trouble with this?

Look forward to the pics and see you around

Mark
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes . . .
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind

steppers
Name: daryl steptoe

Postby steppers » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:17 am

i will post some pics, for the mot it was just brake problems, but the car hadn't been on the road for a good number of years. when i got it the engine was stuck solid as were the brakes. green stuff pads up front makes hell of a difference, so all happy now. there don't seem to be to many stars around, i guess they are dying out. also what "cheap" engine with a good amount of power would fit into the star without doing any silly amount of cutting and welding?

MaRkStar
Name: Mark Rapley

Postby MaRkStar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:05 pm

Humm might have to look at those brakes, mine are not the most responsive. They are certainly rare, only being primarily built from 1982 -3 when the Leader took over. I think I am right in saying that only about 50 were made. I have come across about a dozen in the last four years. One had been completely re-built/re-engineered a very good example, it had gone to Holland, but has been sold again so don't know where it is now. I'm no expert when it comes to engines and would be interested in the answer myself, as my Fiat 2ltr twincam is getting tired and the gearbox is a bit shot, so plan to do a transplant in the next few years. My brother has a v6 cologne in his replacing a xflow, some mods to the engine mounts and the footwell needed, not the best engine in my opinion, too heavy, but he always fancied putting one in. I have come across a couple with Zetecs and John Fitzgerald is sticking a ZX10 I think in his. Definitely worth putting a post on the chat list and see what gems come back. Love to see some pics as I've been collecting pics of Stars and Leaders as I come across them, just as an archive.

Mark
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes . . .
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind

Return to “Introductions”