SSC Stylus... new owner

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
Boondougal
Name: Sam Carney

Re: SSC Stylus... new owner

Postby Boondougal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:23 am

jeffw wrote:It should spin freely (the wheel that is) and it should just feel like it moves when you rock it side to side. Adi will correct me but it is something like go tight and then wind it off by a 1/4 turn and test (with the wheel on).

Very similar to what I did, tightened up and then backed it off.Did seem to spin freely with a touch of float.

Time will tell.

The thing I forgot to mention in the post was the discovery of a wheel spacer on the drivers rear but no spacer on the passenger rear... its one of those universal 5mm spacers and when I did the driver rear I just assumed it was to allow the alloy to "fill the arch" but with the passenger one missing I,m wondering if it was a solution to fix a geometry issue with the rear axel.

I have ordered a full set as I am working on the assumption that they were originally an axel set and the passenger on just got left off at some point but has anyone experienced this type of thing before?

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:48 am

Is it a live axle car?

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:41 am

jeffw wrote:Is it a live axle car?

Yep, from the little I know (and from 5 mins googling) I'm pretty sure it is.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:10 pm

jeffw wrote:It should spin freely (the wheel that is) and it should just feel like it moves when you rock it side to side. Adi will correct me but it is something like go tight and then wind it off by a 1/4 turn and test (with the wheel on).

No,that sounds right. Only thing I'd add is a 1/4turn back off can be a bit on the safe side. It won't fall off, sieze up, etc, but with care you can get less play. It's always be a good starting point before checking.

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

adithorp wrote:

No,that sounds right. Only thing I'd add is a 1/4turn back off can be a bit on the safe side. It won't fall off, sieze up, etc, but with care you can get less play. It's always be a good starting point before checking.

Thanks both, much appreciated

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Had to nip down to my lock up for another reason this afternoon so I took my freshly charged battery down with the goal of hopefully confirming the coolant air locks, thermostat and fan were all sorted out...

And...

Brum brum... car started fine, warmed up lovely and held a pretty solid temperature for 10 mins. Nice.

Car is up on stands at the moment and with a wheel off the rear axel was turning slowly, I noticed the speedo was jumping up and down though... boo!

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Just a little update from earlier in the week.

Passenger track rod end replaced with a new item (i bought a pair so will do the other side as well) the rubber boot was split so thought i would do it while i have everything off. Before that went on i slid on the new steer rack gator which was the main issue i originally found.

Probably going to get he disc and Caliper back on this weekend and possibly get the brake fluid filled up and bled... i anticipate it taking me way longer than it should.

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Tue May 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Started the car up yesterday to show my cousin and took her for a spin around the yard where I keep her... seemed to be running well once it was warm, automatic fan switched kicked in fine and the temp remained solid on tick over so that was good.

Oil pressure is bothering me though... bearing in mind its just had fresh oil (that was as thick as treacle) the gauge is right the way around to the right, over 90 psi I think the gauge is, basically maximum.

now I appreciate the gauges are not all that reliable but do you think I should be concerned? and assuming I am (or I wouldn't be posting here) where should I start looking to figure out whats going on?

p.s reading my last post.... assume I managed to get done what I needed with the brakes... still way to spongy though

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Mon May 22, 2017 1:05 pm

So it turns out the connection had come off the oil pressure sender and now the gauge is registering a more respectable pressure. Not had a chance to take it for a run as I decided to investigate the dash which resulted in me basically removing it...which as you can imagine I am coming to regret.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Mon May 22, 2017 4:27 pm

Always a good policy to stop looking once you've found the cause of an issue. Otherwise you inevitably just find more work.

Return to “Introductions”