SSC Stylus... new owner

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Re: SSC Stylus... new owner

Postby peter030371 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:26 pm

https://www.nationalkitcarshow.co.uk/

I am away fishing most of the week before and I think the chances of me getting to the show this year are around zero%. However I should be able to spend some of the time working on my car so that's OK isn't it?
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

Boondougal
Name: Sam Carney

Postby Boondougal » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:48 pm

peter030371 wrote:https://www.nationalkitcarshow.co.uk/

I am away fishing most of the week before and I think the chances of me getting to the show this year are around zero%. However I should be able to spend some of the time working on my car so that's OK isn't it?

Thanks for that... I'm sure if you sneak out to work on your car... and you go early enough you could just head on over, back in time for tea and no one even knew you were gone!!!

Looks pretty good if you ask me... i wonder how many months ago i should have begun the process of getting permission to go.

:lol:

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Here you go...

The show is officially open Sun-Mon but you can get in to the showground from Sat afternoon. The club are usually there to set up on Sat and several of us stay all 3 days, camping Sat+Sun nights.

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:23 pm

adithorp wrote:Here you go...

The show is officially open Sun-Mon but you can get in to the showground from Sat afternoon. The club are usually there to set up on Sat and several of us stay all 3 days, camping Sat+Sun nights.

Cheers... i bet thats a great sight seeing all those kit cars arriving on the Sat. Definitely going to try and make it down to have a look around.

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:29 pm

I've only been getting a few hours here and there on the car recently but today was a good day.

Engine and gear box are back together, cover plate has been split in the right place and is back on the car, starter is back on, alternator is back on, sump is back on, water pump is buttoned up and pulley back on. I had a new belt but it was just a bit too long, luckily I re-looked at the one I took off and tbh it was virtually new so that went back on the car.
Exhaust was bolted back up to the manifold and a general bit of tidy up of tools etc puts me in good shape for pushing on with the reassemble.

Annoyingly I have ordered 3 sets of bolts for the alloy rocker cover and I have still managed to get the wrong length so those have been reordered plus I have decided to replace the HT leads as the ones on it come straight up out of the cap but really they need to be on a 90 degree bend as its all just to cramped up with the manifold. I also need a new dipstick holder bracket that is twisted through another 90 degrees than the one I have on... that would pick up a hole in the manifold and allow a bolt to hold it in place rather than the cable tie that was doing the job previously.

All in all pretty pleased with the progress.

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 pm

So with a few hours to myself on a friday afternoon what else is there to do apart from work on the stylus.

Rocker cover bolted down
distributor cleaned up - inside and out
New HT leads installed
All water pipes cleaned down and re connected
Fuel pressure regulate re-installed (clean up and new filter) inc a length of new fuel pipe
Various wires taped up / re routed
catch can re bolted in - omg this had taken some cleaning
Crank case breather braided hose cut to length , routed and attached
Dip stick pipe secured - I had plans for a bracket but I ended up using cable ties
various greasy bits cleaned

very good to be putting bits back on.

:D

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Webber's back on yesterday... starting to look like a proper engine bay now.

might get another hour or 2 later today.

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Well I did...

Breather pipes on
Throttle and choke cables back on
Webber linkages tightened up
Oil filter in (primed)
Oil poured in - but it was so cold the oil was really not wanting to flow very well (plus 20/50 is damn thick) so I'll have to finish that off at another date
I also spent a bit of time adding some some corner bracketry to the inner wing to make it more sturdy as it holds the catch can but was far too bouncy.

There is a lot I could do to increase the aesthetics of this engine bay but I'm still nervous about the engine being "a good un" so I've decided to keep it functional for now and once I prove the engine is fine I will then think about how to pretty it up a tad.

Basically coolant and the fan switch and its good for a test fire.

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Managed a couple of hours whilst the rest of the family were at a party this afternoon:

New one of these installed:

No idea if its working as need to get coolant filled up before I can turn her over.

Also added a new top mount ball joint..

Next job along side the coolant, get the callipers back on with fresh pads, a new disc and then on to the other side.

Boondougal

Postby Boondougal » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Wow... a flash really does show up the dirt!

Return to “Introductions”