New Members with a Phoenix and J15

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
OwenSP
Name: Owen Hunter

New Members with a Phoenix and J15

Postby OwenSP » Tue May 03, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi all,

new member here looking to make use of the forum and hopefully pick the brains of some of you experienced chaps.

I own an early mk4 Striker/Phoenix and my brother (Stephen) recently bought David Cockburn's J15. We both plan to be racing with them next year but have a decent bit of work to do in the mean time.

As I'm sure most of you know David built the J15 to a very high standard so it doesn't need much doing at all, Stephen is only changing the seat and pedal arrangement to give a bit more leg room and then adding an oil cooler. Most of this year will be track days and setting up the car with an eye to prepping it for a few races in 2017.

The Phoenix on the other hand requires quite a bit of work to get it up to scratch. The plan is to replace the current Crossflow with a 2.0 Duratec on throttle bodies and then have it mapped and set up at Northampton Motorsport. To start with the engine will run fairly standard with the only real modification being a set of cams (we're looking to keep both cars to similar power). As per the new msa regulations we also need to change the roll hoop (something which I hope to have some guidance on through the forum), I've looked into a full cage but the costs are pretty extreme so I'm hoping to find a middle ground which won't break the bank. Also on the list further down the line will be a splitter/diffuser, most likely an lsd when funds allow as currently it doesn't have one, and an upgrade to a quaife type 9 or, if I'm extremely lucky a caterham 6 speed!

We were up at Stoneligh at the weekend and may have had a chat with a few of you chaps at the JPSC stand. We had a good chin wag with Jeremy and picked his brains on a few points, he knew the J15 pretty well and seemed happy to hear the plans. We also had a good chat with the new owners of Sylva and it's very exciting to hear their plans for the J15 and a Sylva race series.

Thats all for now, good to be on the forum and I hope to learn lots for those who've 'been there done that'! Below are a couple of pictures of the cars, a very dusty Phoenix and a gleaming J15.

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: New Members with a Phoenix and J15

Postby jeffw » Tue May 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Welcome to JPSC !

Really nice to see Deecee's car in good hands. I had the privilege to talk to and compete against David on a number of occasions.

As far as ROPS is concerned it is likely that neither the J15 or the Phoenix (which looks like a Fury) will comply with the MSA Blue Book. The J15 will need to backstays made permanent on 45mm CDS (I assume the main hoop is 45mm). The Phoenix/Fury will need a 45mm hoop with back stays which is what I've had to do with my Phoenix (pictures on the forum somewhere).

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Postby peter030371 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Welcome, sounds like you have lots to do but I am sure some on here can point you in the right direction :)
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

OwenSP

Postby OwenSP » Tue May 03, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Jeff, I did have a brief look through your 'fettling' thread, (will have a better read through later) but I thought something like that would have to be done. Would you mind if I asked how much the hoop cost you? Was it a complete custom job by Fury? It's definitely an early mk4 clubman/phoenix, I've even got the original order from '92

Well we certainly intend to do the J15 justice, it is a great car and David really did go the extra mile with its build, it was shame we couldn't bring it to Stoneleigh at the weekend as Jeremy and few others knew the car. Next year for sure. Do the JPSC do any club track days?

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue May 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Owen

Fury Sportscars did a lot of custom work under the rear bodywork as well as doing the hoop. It worked out to be something like £300 for the hoop and a lot more for the fitting.

There isn't a JPSC trackday as such but there will be a bunch of JP cars (including RAW) at Llandow next Saturday. I'll be there as well Adi in his Fury.

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Postby peter030371 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:51 am

OwenSP wrote:Do the JPSC do any club track days?

We are working on it ;)

Last time it was tried numbers who actually committed were very low (OK my car is still only half built so I won't be on the track anytime soon before you say anything Jeff :oops:) ...lets see if it can be better this year :)
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Wed May 04, 2016 5:49 pm

You are welcome to come to Llandow next weekend in the RR if you want. Raw will even let you out in their demo Striker Pete ;)

OwenSP

Postby OwenSP » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi All,

little bit of an update on the Phoenix. Work has been pretty all consuming since my original post back in May, I've relocated to Bristol for work but this comes to an end in three weeks and I'm pretty excited to concentrate on the engine change in the phoenix. Well my plans for a duratec install have changed due to cost and time, basically due to not having enough of either! However I have luckily got my hands on a complete 2.0 zetec silvertop set up which will be going in once I'm back home. Have a look at the link here:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php ... c-package/

I'm happy with it being on carsb as it keeps things simple and means I don't have to mess about with the fuel system or the ecu. Not sure what the sump is, the seller didn't know either as he bought the car with the engine already fitted. The mt75 will be sold as I don't think it will fit, plus it's heavy, plus it has a very short first, plus I already have a box. Not sure if the exhaust will fit or it will foul part of the chassis either, what are your thoughts?? This is the engine/exhaust:

Does anyone have any words of wisdom about the zetec upgrade?? Any problems or tips worth knowing???

Thats it for now. I'll update with some info as the change happens.

Cheers :D

Return to “Introductions”