Hello guys

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Hello guys

Postby RobMsport » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm Rob and live in Aston Clinton , Bucks . Built a Stylus starting in 1997 finished in 1999 , on the road in 2000. It's red , has a 2lt Zetec silvertop originally on 45's . Moved to fast road cams very soon after getting it on the road , taking it from 165bhp to 193bhp. From then to 2005 , I sprinted it in the ACSMC Speed series , spending time and money developing the handling which gave some success over that time. In 2006 I changed to TB's giving more grunt at 231bhp . Since then I've not done a full event season , also changed class to sports libre from road going kit but still retained the same spec' tyres with no special wheels/tyres for wet running , nor wings or flat floor . Did it to save cost of TAX , MOT , INSURANCE. Had a major shunt at Eelmoor at the end of the 2008 season , making it necessary to repair the front suspension , new radiator , 'A' frame plus a new half body. Very expensive mistake :oops: so have only just done two events this year due to the time taken for repair but won both , one being in running water conditions --- a first for me . Having to repair it made me decide to convert it to a flip front , using just 2mm fibre glass for the body but reinforced with carbon fibre strips. Also designed my own ' A ' frame so it would hinge to clear the tarmac by 120mm because the lower front chassis rail is 90mm from the ground.

I'm not o-fay enough with computors to put pic's up here so no photo . I'm used to being able to simply add from '' my pictures '' :oops:
Repaired June 2009 (WinCE).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RobMsport on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Strikerxe
Name: John Richards

Re: Hello guys

Postby Strikerxe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi Rob

Glad to see you on here , we've met a couple of times at Stonleigh and at the meet Gary used to arrange near buckingham . I've got the yellow Vauxhall engined Striker .

I've taken the liberty of attaching one of your photo's from the Sylva sportscar album on photobucket , hope you don't mind and I've got the right car ;)

John

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:33 am

Hi Rob, Welcome.

Nice looking car -- and it's very nice to see a car with the roll-over bar at the correct height.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:08 am

ad
Strikerxe wrote:Hi Rob

Glad to see you on here , we've met a couple of times at Stonleigh and at the meet Gary used to arrange near buckingham . I've got the yellow Vauxhall engined Striker .

I've taken the liberty of attaching one of your photo's from the Sylva sportscar album on photobucket , hope you don't mind and I've got the right car ;)

John

Many thanks , that's very kind of you . Yes , didn't we meet at the ' Folly ' along the Buckingham road ? That seems so long ago now doesn't it. Martin came along to support too / KC Workshop ?
The photo you picked is at Abingdon Carnival Sprint 2008 just entering the Chicane on the Abingdon course finishing at 48.7 sec's from memory.

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:16 am

David wrote:Hi Rob, Welcome.

Nice looking car -- and it's very nice to see a car with the roll-over bar at the correct height.

Yes , the factory bar wouldn't have saved your neck I'm afraid . Selfishly designed to suit their standard hood etc :roll: Once you compete , the scrutineers wouldn't pass it anyway so after getting away with it for two or three events I had this one made. Officially they should be a minimum of 50mm's to the top of the bar above your helmet. I had this one made 23 inches from boot ledge to ' bar ' top which is actually 4 inches above my helmet , possibly nearly 5 inches once harnessed and slotted down into the seat ;)

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Rob

The competition scrute is in a cleft stick. My understanding is that a road-legal car doesn't need a roll-over bar at all for sprinting, but that if it does have one it should comply with the Blue Book. Consequently, they frequently pass cars where the bar is actually lower than the driver's helmet-top in case the response to a fail would be to remove the bar and resubmit. Sure the situation will change when the MSA get through with higher priorities like mandating catalytic converters for cars which are road legal without them :x

I don't know what the situation is for racing. Do you race?

David
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:15 pm

David wrote:Rob

The competition scrute is in a cleft stick. My understanding is that a road-legal car doesn't need a roll-over bar at all for sprinting, but that if it does have one it should comply with the Blue Book. Consequently, they frequently pass cars where the bar is actually lower than the driver's helmet-top in case the response to a fail would be to remove the bar and resubmit. Sure the situation will change when the MSA get through with higher priorities like mandating catalytic converters for cars which are road legal without them :x

I don't know what the situation is for racing. Do you race?

David

I don't race the Stylus but do have a race licence . I sprint it in sports libre , not road going. Originally I was road going until 2006 then moved into sports libre where just about anything goes plus any engine size . My win at Goodwood in June was against a racing GTD40 5lt plus 4 other cars on huge slicks . My spec' apart from power is exactly the same as when in the road going class. If I run slicks then a dry sump will be a must plus even more cash for another set of wheels so you have to draw the line at some point . While I'm winning it can stay as it is :roll:

Return to “Introductions”